Friday, March 20, 2020

Body Talk Pt. 1, Pam


Back in 1997, Robyn released the single "Show Me Love" amidst a sea of music that was soon to be released from a variety of pop princesses. Britney, Christina, and Jessica Simpson all released their first albums within the following years, and as a result, for me, Robyn got lost in all of this. I thought Robyn was just another pop star of the TRL era. I had no idea that in the following decade, she had released Body Talk Pts. 1 & 2 in the electronic/dance genre. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that one of the songs on Body Talk Pt. 1 ("Dancing on My Own") made it to many lists ranking top songs of the decade! So did Robyn reinvent herself as a giant in this different genre? Or was she truly part of the dance community all along and was put into a pop box back in '97?

None of this has much bearing on how fun Body Talk Pt. 1 is, so I don't know why I'm going off about it. Back to Body Talk Pt. 1—truly an enjoyable album that doesn't require a whole lot of thinking. And what dance album should? It might be as far as I'm willing to go in the direction of the Electric Daisy Carnival, but damn, when that first beat drops in "Don't F****** Tell Me What to Do" it's like... okay, okay... I'm feeling this. Obviously, "Dancing on My Own" is fantastic. "Fembot" is super fun, and I love this lyric: "Once you've gone tech, you never, ever goin' back." And the beat from "None of Dem" is so catchy, it was stuck in my head for twelve hours the other night when I worked. I'm so glad I listened to this album ten years later. I think I would have really enjoyed these jams ten years ago for the three months that I went buck wild as a single lady in the city before I met Joey.

1 comment:

Joe K said...

Willow woke us up at 4:30 just so Pam would have time to write this.