We've already gone through Round One and the Sweet Sixteen. Here's where we left off:
![]() |
| click to enlarge |
We'll leave today with our championship round scheduled (with that match-up being featured in our Song of the Week column on Saturday). Let's see what happens.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Township Rebellion" by Rage Against the Machine VS. "Clairaudients (Kill or Be Killed)" by Bright Eyes
I know it's important to note how relevant Rage Against the Machine sounds these days, but in all honesty, all I can think about when I hear it is doing kickflips on Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2. That was my first exposure to RAtM, and this shit brings me back to a time when we didn't need this rebel music. "Clairaudients" brings me back too; there was a night when me and a few high school friends were driving down 95 on a night out, and Cassadaga was the soundtrack. The latter memory is stronger, and hits me harder.
WINNER: "Clairaudients (Kill or Be Killed)"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Why Do I Keep Counting?" by the Killers VS. "Black Rain, Black Rain" by A.A. Bondy
It's hard to say that any cut off Sam's Town shines too bright when they are all completely overshadowed by the mammoth "When You Were Young," but I'm appreciating after a few dozen spins of "Why Do I Keep Counting?" how truly close it comes to matching that bombast and energy. It works perfectly as the true climax to the album (with "Exitlude" being more of a coda). "Black Rain, Black Rain," meanwhile, has no bombast at all, and that's probably the point. It's supposed to be a low-key acoustic finger-picker about optimism during bouts of depression. I love it, but "Why Do I Keep Counting?" is doing something to me today, and I cannot deny it the win.
WINNER: "Why Do I Keep Counting?"
"Knock Knock" by the Hives VS. "Saturday Nite" by Blitzen Trapper
It kinda bums me out that the Hives faded quickly after that Garage Rock Revival phase of the early '00s. They are reckless and relentless, and it gets me fucking pumped. I especially love hearing "Knock Knock" by itself, instead of just another banger on Veni Vidi Vicious. It stands out a lot more. "Saturday Nite" already stood out on a tepid, average album, Furr. Don't get me wrong, it's a great tune, but listening to it in the context of competition does nothing for it. "Saturday Nite" isn't used to being surrounded by other great songs. Give the win to the Hives for holding strong.
WINNER: "Knock Knock"
"Animal" by Against Me! VS. "Into the Earth" by Bloc Party
I love everything that Against Me! has ever done, and "Animal" is no different. But let the record show that my love for the band is unequivocally the reason that "Animal" has lasted into the Elite Eight. It's a good tune, but it takes so long to get to the important parts. It's middling content in a discography littered with all-timers. Contrast this with "Into the Earth," which is absolutely shocking me with how much I love this shit. I was ready to completely write off Bloc Party, and leave 'em for dead, but here they are with an amazing song out of nowhere. HOW did I not realize the beauty of "Into the Earth" before? Insane.
WINNER: "Into the Earth"
RESULTS:
We'll move briskly onto the FINAL FOUR!!!
"Clairaudients (Kill or Be Killed)" by Bright Eyes VS. "Why Do I Keep Counting?" by the Killers
I can't decide which of these songs provides the more pessimistic outlook. In "Clairaudients," we have Oberst's patented flippant perspective, filled with brief flashes of vivid images of a world crumbling. In "Why Do I Keep Counting?," Flowers sings about an inability to appreciate the present due to a fear of the future. Only the Killers provide an answer—we must rely on help from others to make it through. Bright Eyes thinks we are fucked. Pam told me that I need to stop being so doom and gloom about the coronavirus, so in her honor, I'm giving the win to the Killers.
WINNER: "Why Do I Keep Counting?"
"Knock Knock" by the Hives VS. "Into the Earth" by Bloc Party
Oh man, I guess "Knock Knock" is a pessimistic song too. Who knew? Not I, even though I've heard this song a thousand times. I didn't know because it certainly doesn't sound like pessimistic music. It sounds upbeat. It sounds triumphant. But if you read the lyrics, you realize that the protagonist of the song is the personification of failure, so when it goes "I'm coming for you," that's failure speaking. I love the twist. "Into the Earth" is probably the only truly optimistic song in the Final Four. It's the only song about living in the moment, and enjoying what you have. Bloc Party acknowledges that this is all going to end one day, so we gotta have fun while it lasts. I can't think of a better way to approach life, and so I can't imagine Bloc Party not walking away with the win here.
WINNER: "Into the Earth"
Results:
We'll see you guys on Saturday to determine this year's March Madness Shuffle champion!
It's hard to say that any cut off Sam's Town shines too bright when they are all completely overshadowed by the mammoth "When You Were Young," but I'm appreciating after a few dozen spins of "Why Do I Keep Counting?" how truly close it comes to matching that bombast and energy. It works perfectly as the true climax to the album (with "Exitlude" being more of a coda). "Black Rain, Black Rain," meanwhile, has no bombast at all, and that's probably the point. It's supposed to be a low-key acoustic finger-picker about optimism during bouts of depression. I love it, but "Why Do I Keep Counting?" is doing something to me today, and I cannot deny it the win.
WINNER: "Why Do I Keep Counting?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It kinda bums me out that the Hives faded quickly after that Garage Rock Revival phase of the early '00s. They are reckless and relentless, and it gets me fucking pumped. I especially love hearing "Knock Knock" by itself, instead of just another banger on Veni Vidi Vicious. It stands out a lot more. "Saturday Nite" already stood out on a tepid, average album, Furr. Don't get me wrong, it's a great tune, but listening to it in the context of competition does nothing for it. "Saturday Nite" isn't used to being surrounded by other great songs. Give the win to the Hives for holding strong.
WINNER: "Knock Knock"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love everything that Against Me! has ever done, and "Animal" is no different. But let the record show that my love for the band is unequivocally the reason that "Animal" has lasted into the Elite Eight. It's a good tune, but it takes so long to get to the important parts. It's middling content in a discography littered with all-timers. Contrast this with "Into the Earth," which is absolutely shocking me with how much I love this shit. I was ready to completely write off Bloc Party, and leave 'em for dead, but here they are with an amazing song out of nowhere. HOW did I not realize the beauty of "Into the Earth" before? Insane.
WINNER: "Into the Earth"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We'll move briskly onto the FINAL FOUR!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I can't decide which of these songs provides the more pessimistic outlook. In "Clairaudients," we have Oberst's patented flippant perspective, filled with brief flashes of vivid images of a world crumbling. In "Why Do I Keep Counting?," Flowers sings about an inability to appreciate the present due to a fear of the future. Only the Killers provide an answer—we must rely on help from others to make it through. Bright Eyes thinks we are fucked. Pam told me that I need to stop being so doom and gloom about the coronavirus, so in her honor, I'm giving the win to the Killers.
WINNER: "Why Do I Keep Counting?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Knock Knock" by the Hives VS. "Into the Earth" by Bloc Party
Oh man, I guess "Knock Knock" is a pessimistic song too. Who knew? Not I, even though I've heard this song a thousand times. I didn't know because it certainly doesn't sound like pessimistic music. It sounds upbeat. It sounds triumphant. But if you read the lyrics, you realize that the protagonist of the song is the personification of failure, so when it goes "I'm coming for you," that's failure speaking. I love the twist. "Into the Earth" is probably the only truly optimistic song in the Final Four. It's the only song about living in the moment, and enjoying what you have. Bloc Party acknowledges that this is all going to end one day, so we gotta have fun while it lasts. I can't think of a better way to approach life, and so I can't imagine Bloc Party not walking away with the win here.
WINNER: "Into the Earth"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We'll see you guys on Saturday to determine this year's March Madness Shuffle champion!



No comments:
Post a Comment