Friday, September 12, 2025

Plowing into the Field of Love, Sunny


Turns out this wasn't a Norse heavy metal band, no, actually the style's much more in the central curve of my wheelhouse. Moody bass, downer chords on guitars of various amplitudes, absolutely breathless singer, and flitting around with plenty of religious imagery. Yeah, with "On My Fingers," I'm thinking this could work out alright.

Ah, but we continue. I don't care for lead single "The Lord's Favorite." The rest of this album sort of takes the above elements and then mixes 'em up a little bit. Think your favorite salad base with different toppers and dressings. That's cool, but what's this jamboree bouncing-esque tune accompanying this? Does it not feel out of tenor a bit? And then "breathless" slowly becomes more "wail-ey," and I'm confused, and somehow alienated. What are we doing here Ice?

I do believe in heaven, I do believe it’s real. Do you, Iceage? Heaven's just a place on earth.

And still that track gets hooks in my brain! Ain't that some shit? It lays some credit for sure; I like this album overall. I like the cloistered depression of "Stay," the sort of industrial varnish of "Let It Vanish," the western aesthetic in "Forever," the particularly breathless "Cimmerian," the late night lounge of "Against the Moon," or, of course, the title track, tucked in at the end there, which I really like on here. This is how I want my salad composed.

Such cleaving within an album suggests I may be missing something of this band's offering, but it is only a week and time is short. The half I can really groove with makes the whole album worthwhile, though clearly I'm judicious with my skip button listening N-times through.

An aside, between last week's RC and this week's, I did listen to the record of Beyondless I bought, and quite liked it, but with only one listen through before now, a solid "which album is better?" answer will need to wait.

No comments: