Friday, September 19, 2025

CREAM, Gloria


Listening to this album was such a cool experience—especially hearing it live the first time I heard it. I loved how it reworked so many classic hip-hop and rap tracks into jazz, which made me reflect on the musicality of those originals to start with. So often we hear jazz samples within hip-hop and rap songs, it's so cool to listen to this phenomenon in reverse.

Jazz and hip hop share essential musical values such as rhythm, flow, and improvisation. They have a real sense of spontaneity. Both are rooted in Black cultural traditions, particularly in urban communities, where they've served as powerful outlets for joy, struggle, and self-expression. These are genres that have given, and continue to provide, a voice to marginalized communities. 

CREAM feels both inventive and approachable. It weaves in familiar songs, making it easier for listeners new to jazz to find something that draws them in. I loved it. It will be on repeat in my home this fall. 

No comments: