Friday, October 14, 2022

Horizons, Dillon


Surfaces is vibes. It's pure energy. It welcomes you and offers you what you need—a day off, a walk in the sun, a friend who tells you you're awesome. The chords are always major, the drums always swing, and the steel drums always hit at just the right time. And did I mention, it's always, always sunny?

The lyrics and shape of the album are just one bright day after another, or one empty phrase after another, depending on how you look at it. Like the concept of vibes, Horizons has little substance. As I listened to the album all the way through in one sitting, I couldn't help feeling that the album was actually not composed to be listened to as a cohesive whole. And maybe the songs weren't either. Every lyric was just simple enough to be taken out of context and dropped into a sun-soaked TikTok. But there it would probably find its true home—as pure vibes.

No comments: