Friday, October 14, 2022

Horizons, Lamson


First of all, I don't feel guilty about this album getting selected! I thoroughly enjoy this album and I thought Stephan might as well. I just love the way things unfolded in order for this album to be the one that we landed on.

Let me start off by sharing how I came to be acquainted with this album. I still listen to Pandora Radio, because I am ancient and do not have a Spotify account. There is an aspect to the "radio" component of Pandora that I enjoy, in that you cannot select the exact songs you want to listen to, so when you get a song that you truly love pop up or are introduced to a new song that you fall in love with, it somehow feels more exciting than having all the control of Spotify. I know Spotify recommends new music as well but whatever. I'm sure I'll eventually got a Spotify account.

Point is, one day over the summer, I was running along Lake Michigan here in Chicago and listening to one of my Pandora stations and "Remedy" by Surfaces came on, and it hit me at the perfect time. The sun was setting, the light was bouncing off the water, the sky was a mix of purple, red, blue, and yellow, and the the weather was perfect. The smooth and calming tone of "Remedy" was the perfect song for me right in that moment. Slowly but surely I started to listen to more and more of Surfaces' body of work, and I enjoy the feel-good, easy-going tracks they produce. Here's my track by track review: 
  • "Rising" — Nothing special here. A nice little intro. It's sweet (not in the bro way but in the nice way).
  • "Take it Easy" — Love this one. The piano is so catchy. Really enjoy the chorus. 
  • "Good Day" — This song doesn't really do it for me. Just kinda bland. 
  • "Lazy" — Another one I really enjoy. Again very catchy and "feel good."
  • "Bloom" — Doesn't do it for me. I feel like this whole album goes back and forth. Every other song I like or feel very "meh" about.
  • "Sunny Side Up" — Another one that doesn't really strike me as special. Just kinda plays in the background. Usually skip past it. 
  • "Sky Interlude" — As far as interludes go, it's fine. Could see this song playing a beach. Not going to seek this song out to listen to it though. 
  • "Remedy" — My favorite song on the album. It's the best. Love the weaving of the low mm mm mm mm mm with the falsetto oooh-aahhhhhhs. The whole tone of this song is CHILL AS FUCK and I love it. And I love the lyrics. It's teetering on corny but I find it clever at the same time. 
  • "Dancing with Nobody" — This is an interesting one for me, because I feel like most songs on this album I either love or don't care about. This one someone how lands in the middle of those for me. I enjoy it, but not as much as the others ("Remedy," "Lazy," "Take It Easy," etc.). 
  • "All Around" — Nothing special here. Doesn't do it for me. 
  • "Horizons" — I want more from this song, being the title track. But it's ok.
  • "Keep It Gold" — Love this one! Another one of my top tracks. 
Ok so looking back it looks like my favorites are "Remedy," "Keep It Gold," "Take It Easy," and "Lazy." Feels kinda weird in hindsight to recommend an album when I really only feel strongly about four of the twelve tracks. But I really enjoy those four. Anyway, looking forward to seeing what everyone else thinks.

No comments: