Friday, October 14, 2022

Horizons, Dranders


Having been completely unfamiliar with Surfaces, I was surprised to learn from Wikipedia that they are two kids from Texas. Their mood in Horizons is so beachy that I was certain they were from Southern California. These guys have a consistent vibe, which is both relaxing and something I could see myself dancing to at a live show. It's somewhat genre-less, which I really like. Sunny and upbeat but still mellow. I always love when they dash in some reggae or calypso (steel drums, heck yeah!).

If I could describe this album in one word, it would be "chill." But perhaps it's a little TOO chill? Like it lacked momentum? Thankfully I think the last two tracks were the exception, as they were more vibrant, at least to me. I think I would have preferred something more dynamic, but like I said, they have honed a distinct style of chillness and are sticking to it.

Anyway, overall I dig this. I'd probably be willing to see them live (and now that I've moved to Surfaces' home state of Texas, I am interested to hear what the locals have to say about them). Yeehaw!

No comments: