Prompt: "A song that reminds you of somewhere you traveled"
Selected by Gilson
"JCB"
Nizlopi
Half These Songs Are About You, 2004
On January 2, 2006, I flew to Galway, Ireland, to start a semester abroad. My dad came with me because he had been to Ireland a number of times before that and, honestly, was always looking for another excuse to go and have a few pints with his son (I was also 20 at the time so it would have been our first legal beer together).
He rented a car and we set out to a B&B in Doolin for the first day/night, and my dad put on the radio and within the first fifteen minutes I heard this song.
Ireland was an amazing experience for me in a number of ways, but especially musically. I remember Nizlopi, the Frames, Stereophonics, Arctic Monkeys, and Josh Ritter entering my world. I played an open mic every single Wednesday night and made friends there. One night, I even played "Slide" by the Goo Goo Dolls, and a room full of Swedish students sang along with me. I remember spending afternoons walking around this beautiful city listening to Hey Mercedes, the Jealous Sound, and the Get Up Kids. A fellow American student had her parents visit, and her father and I got along so well that he sent me a mix CD, which introduced me to Bob Schneider, Beth Orton, and John Prine(!).
There are a million songs that will remind me of Ireland. But this one was the first I heard there and set the tone for the rest of the trip.
He rented a car and we set out to a B&B in Doolin for the first day/night, and my dad put on the radio and within the first fifteen minutes I heard this song.
Ireland was an amazing experience for me in a number of ways, but especially musically. I remember Nizlopi, the Frames, Stereophonics, Arctic Monkeys, and Josh Ritter entering my world. I played an open mic every single Wednesday night and made friends there. One night, I even played "Slide" by the Goo Goo Dolls, and a room full of Swedish students sang along with me. I remember spending afternoons walking around this beautiful city listening to Hey Mercedes, the Jealous Sound, and the Get Up Kids. A fellow American student had her parents visit, and her father and I got along so well that he sent me a mix CD, which introduced me to Bob Schneider, Beth Orton, and John Prine(!).
There are a million songs that will remind me of Ireland. But this one was the first I heard there and set the tone for the rest of the trip.
1 comment:
"Getting so close with a girl's dad that he sends me a mix CD" is the absolute peak of Gilsoning.
Post a Comment