It's been a bit since we last checked in on RuPaul's Drag Race. I've now watched three complete seasons with Pam (Seasons 12 and 13, plus All Stars Season 6), and my opinions are pretty locked in at this point. I think Drag Race, as an idea, is fantastic—drag is all about spectacle, and so it makes sense on paper that a competition between drag queens would be a spectacle multiplied. I also think that there are measurable benefits to its existence in society, in that people all over the world are tuning in and being exposed to a fun, campy, positive way of life, with artists who are fully invested in their craft and their craft's worth. But I also think that this show, like most or even all reality shows, has terrible execution.
If I had to name the thing that annoyed me the most, it's Drag Race's editing. It is painfully obvious, to the point where it is 100% clear who is going home that week, just based on which moments and which talking heads are included in the edit. Ten minutes in, there's a realization of "Oh shit, they are giving Pandora Boxx's insecurities a spotlight this week, I guess she's going home," and then sure enough...
I also have a problem with the evidence that there is no rhyme or reason to who does well in a challenge, and who doesn't. Ru makes the ultimate decision, and she is trying to create compelling television, so most winners are chosen because that makes better television, not because the queen truly deserves the win. If all the queens are making it plain that Eureka! is going home if she doesn't win, then Eureka! is going to win, even if she (in my opinion) was like third best out of five in that challenge.
I could go on, but that's not why I'm here. My complaints don't matter, because they are all superseded by my satisfaction in participating in an entertainment that Pam truly loves. So we watch Drag Race, and we will continue to watch Drag Race, because it affords me time to hang out with my wife.
No, why I'm here is to discuss my thoughts about the music in Drag Race. Most of the lip sync battles feature fun, upbeat pop music, and most of them are from LGBTQ-friendly artists. I think that it's really important to feature songs with themes like "being true to yourself" and "being positive" and "having high self-worth" and all that good stuff. I'm not saying that Drag Race should change. I just think that the music itself could stand to expand into some different genres.
So here are my top five ideas for Drag Race Lip Sync songs. Each of these songs really does feature a theme that I think would work GREAT within the context of Drag Race's competition. As far as whether they would actually be a good fit aesthetically for a lip sync, you'll have to judge that for yourself. I have set each of the five songs to the video from this past season of All Stars, featuring Trinity K. Bonet battling Lip Sync Assassin Laganja Estranja. (The video was picked at random, though I'll admit that Laganja looks pretty hot dancing to literally any type of music.)
Let me know what you think, Mama Ru!!!
Top Five Lip Sync Song Ideas for RuPaul's Drag Race
5. "You Deserve Love" by White Reaper
4. "No More Tearstained Make Up" by Martha and the Vandellas
3. "Keep Being Yourself" by Hurry
2. "Life in Drag" by the Hotelier
1. "Ageless Beauty" by Stars

No comments:
Post a Comment