Friday, August 28, 2020

SUGAREGG, Sunny


Reading that The Big Takeover piece makes it seem like this album is a bit of a departure from Bully's previous work. Beyond playing with speed of the songs ("oh yeah i just wanted to pick up the tempo"), my mind splits the songs into three pretty distinct categories. Take the difference between "Add It On," "Come Down," and "Every Tradition." The opener sets the stage, the bassline-driven tracks vary the palate, and the melodic tunes are the ones that stick in my head hours later. If this is new range, it's appreciated—Bognanno's voice and lyric do enough to tie the whole bundle.

The above unconscious mental partitioning leaves me in a space where I really enjoy 2/3rds of the songs here and just groove along with the rest. This is kind of nice though. Be it not for RC, I doubt I'd hear this band. Maybe in another universe at a concert? On the setlist but you don't recognize it? Bully was sandwiched between two bands you wanted to hear and ended up being a surprise delight.

No comments: