"Fountain of Youth"
Local Natives
from Sunlit Youth
2016
The opposite of yesterday, there are some songs that age very, very poorly over time, depending on what happens in the world. I am on record as appreciating Local Natives' musical stylings without fully buying into their blind optimism; maybe this song is a good example why.
In "Fountain of Youth," Local Natives' ode to social progress, there is a line that was written in mid-2016, and wouldn't make it out of the year alive. That line is: "I have waited so long, Mrs. President." I can barely stand to hear this lyric (and consequentially, this song) anymore, it just makes me cringe too much. I feel the same way I do when I remember that people were visiting Susan B. Anthony's grave after they voted for H.R. Clinton in November—a sinking sort of embarrassment for all involved, including for the dumb orange fuck who made both this blog post and this apocalyptic version of America possible.
I hope one day we have a female president. When that day comes, I'll be back on board for "Fountain of Youth." Until then, I can't stand the thought of what could've been true, and what always will be true.
No comments:
Post a Comment