"Nookie"
Limp Bizkit
from Significant Other
1999
I was interested to see what was the first song ever mentioned on this blog. Back in the early days of PoYB, this wasn't necessarily a music blog. I don't know what it is, but it wasn't that. Any mention of music was pretty rare. (I also didn't listen to enough music back then to be able to form any opinion on any specific thing, but that's a different story.) But what was the first song ever mentioned, even in passing, and was there any indication from that song of Puke on Your Birthday's future in peddling soft music takes to an unwitting populace?
No. The song was "Nookie," mentioned by Mandy in her first piece for the blog, entitled "Rot in Pieces." The point of the blog post is that Nickelback is terrible, and "Nookie" is held up as an example of music that is bad but still preferable to the band she is denigrating.
Because of the genre and the release date and the bizarre popularity of this song, we all know "Nookie," and we all know it to be absolutely fucking awful. I don't know even know if I'd agree with the argument that it's better than Nickelback. Hating either band is easy, but Nickelback is at least just lamely bad instead of actively offensively bad.
So maybe I take it back. Maybe the fact that "Nookie" was the first song mentioned on this blog was indicative of PoYB's future. Here on this blog, we can argue about music; it's where every dumb opinion can be matched by an equally dumb opposing opinion. This is where a Limp Bizkit vs. Nickelback argument could begin to take shape. That's what makes our home here special.
So thank you, "Nookie," for showing us the way. Now get the fuck out.
No comments:
Post a Comment