I'd say Alanis Morissette, out of the handful of ultra-popular mega-selling albums that we've done in Record Club, she's definitely an artist who has a style of her own. A style that's just: Alanis. This should be a one-name artist.
A queen of '90s pop-rock, with the wailing, warbling voice. You know, that ringing [Alanis Morissette impression] thing. Which, I guess that's how you become so big.
Listening to the album, it's mega-hit after mega-hit after mega-hit, pretty much all the way through. At least half these tracks. Going back to read the PoYB Sunday write-up mentions the 25th anniversary, which is funny because now it's the 30th anniversary, so maybe this reunion tour will happen. Allison also mentioned the Joey Gladstone thing, so I don't have to.
Isn't it ironic that I tried to be fifteen minutes early to book club so that I could do this review, but I was fifteen minutes late? Joe already made that joke, I'm just repeating it.
In middle school, even, people were always talking about this song whenever any mention of irony came up. Someone would say a lyric, and then someone else would inevitably say "That's not actually what irony is," but they would not actually explain what irony is. I'm stating, for the record for PoYB, everything contained in Alanis Morissette's "Ironic" is indeed ironic.
Down spots? Between all the mega-hits, it's kind of a lot of filler. Is anyone's favorite song "Always," track three? If you go on YouTube, someone will say yes, just because of how popular this album is, but, I mean, c'mon.
"Mary Jane," boring. I don't understand why the musical's main character is named after her. I don't understand why there is a musical at all. I guess making a musical out of an ultra-popular album... is there a Rumours musical yet? It's just an easy way to get the people in the seats, even if the book makes no sense (I haven't read it past Wikipedia).
This album came out in '95, so Alanis is like 21. Full House started in '87, so she would have been a tween or teenager, and she's crushing on Joey... when did the Joey Gladstone thing happen? How old was she? What is the statutory in Canada? And why is it that Full House would end that same year? Isn't that something?
Anyway, Jagged Little Pill—a very good album. The '90s. Would this be as popular as it was if it came out today? I guess "You Oughta Know" would be "good 4 u." So maybe that says it right there.

No comments:
Post a Comment