God bless the "new age" from 50 years ago. It withstands the test of time. Rhythm-heavy songs take the listener through this perfectly 40-minute album. Getting an extra week with the album really helped it creep up on me. First listen, it was feeling fine, seventies, Bowie-esque to me. "Mind" really made me feel the David Bowie vibes. Second listen, I thought I didn't like it. Assumed it was good background noise for commuting. By the third time, the lyrics and beat had infiltrated my brain. Singing along, dancing in my car. Really inched up on me. I appreciate that. When I first start thinking of my review, I always think of the negatives or the hard critiques. Just thinking that picking something apart shows that I know more or have good taste. I am deconstructing that thought this year. The best sign of an album is that I'll put it on again after the listening week. Fear of Music will likely make it beyond Friday January 10.
Music to me can also be very seasonal. Like a country in the summer type of thing. Fear of Music sounds very fall to me. An October album. Certain songs give off an undertone of Halloween, such as "Animals" or "Drugs." So this did feel like a very big change from the Christmas music that I was ready to retire. A helpful way to start the new year.
Listen to this album if you are a perpetually spooky person or need a soundtrack to taking down Christmas decorations.
3.5 out of 5 Big Brens

No comments:
Post a Comment