Sunday, August 7, 2022

Album of the Week: Don't You Fake It

Once a year, Record Club is transmitted from Wildwood, NJ. I've been spending a week in this town every year for pretty much my entire life, and I'll probably keep doing it until my parents stop organizing the annual trip. The point in bringing it up in this opening paragraph is not to rub it in your face (though, really, who wouldn't get jealous when they hear I'm in Wildwood, NJ?!?!), but to say that blogging is hard when you're on vacation.

And yet, Record Club continues no matter where any of its members are across the globe. So in my mind, if I'm going to have to blog about music this week, I should have to listen to music chosen by someone whom I'm living with that week. At the very least, that means I'm not the one forcing music on anyone, right? No one likes living with that guy at a shore house.

So it is my great pleasure to announce the return of the prodigal sister. Jenny has not chosen an album since Week 10. She has not participated in Record Club in any capacity since Week 21. She is choosing the album this week. (Last year, her husband Bob picked the album. Two years ago, I did, sorry. Three years ago, Pam did. I have no idea what we're gonna do next year if another Wildwood trip happens. I guess my Aunt Dee Dee is going to have to pick the only album she ever listens to—KISS's Destroyer.)

Thank you for indulging me in some inside baseball talk about the blog and the decisions we make here. Please enjoy your album of the week. (Or check out the archives and the goals if you're feeling landlocked this week.) Play 'em out, Bobby.

WEEK 184 — August 7-13, 2022

What we're listening to this week (Jenn's pick):


ALBUM:
Don't You Fake It
ARTIST: The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

RELEASED: July 18, 2006

LOCATION: Middleburg, Florida

WHAT GENRE IS THIS: Alternative rock, pop punk, post-hardcore, emo

WHY JENN PICKED IT: "Because I don't listen to music anymore, and I know I liked them, hahaha"

TRACKLIST:
  1. In Fate's Hands
  2. Waiting
  3. False Pretense
  4. Face Down
  5. Misery Loves Its Company
  6. Cat and Mouse
  7. Damn Regret
  8. Atrophy
  9. Seventeen Ain't So Sweet
  10. Justify
  11. Your Guardian Angel
  12. The Grim Goodbye
TRACKLIST NOTES: Wikipedia indicates that Track 11 "Your Guardian Angel" includes 90 seconds of silence, but doesn't say if that silence is at the beginning or the middle or the end of the song or what. It also indicates that Track 12 "The Grim Goodbye" is a "hidden track" but also "does not appear on all editions of the album." I have no idea if that means we should listen to this song for Record Club or not. How about you make your own decision on that one?

LENGTH: 44:28 (if you include "The Grim Goodbye")

WHERE TO LISTEN FOR FREE: YouTube (and this playlist does not include "The Grim Goodbye," for whatever reason, so I guess I'm leaning toward not including it in my own listening sessions this week)

READING SOME SHIT: Here's a 2006 interview with then-lead guitarist Elias Reidy. I'm a big fan of any article that begins with "Fresh from a performance on the Warp [sic] Tour..."

PREVIOUSLY ON RECORD CLUB: This album was almost chosen by our internet artist friend Kailyn just about a year ago. So that's a funny coincidence. I guess if Record Club goes on long enough, we're going to have to cover all the albums on that list, huh?

Without having heard a single note of any RJA album in my entire life, I was getting the sense that there had to be some connection to A Day to Remember. Same genre and time period, right? If you don't believe me, check out the lineup for that upcoming When We Were Young festival in Las Vegas. There's Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, there's A Day to Remember, there's My Chemical Romance, and I am legitimately shocked that those are the only three Record Club alumni on this concert poster. (P.S. How are the Killers not on there? What, did they say no after you named the fucking festival after one of their songs?)
 
Happy listening, fam! Have a great week!

No comments: