Friday, June 19, 2020

Fetch the Bolt Cutters, Rachel S.


Listening to Fiona Apple’s Fetch the Bolt Cutters transports me back to a time in my sonic youth (heh) that was so long ago, so far before the current hellish nightmare of the tr*mp administration was even a kernel of a thought. For that sheer muscle memory, 10/10 for this album.

But hey, it’s Fiona Apple, she’s raging against the machine (dang, I am full of '90s nostalgia and bad puns today!), so I can’t FULLY retreat. Then again, Fiona Apple has ALWAYS been an angry woman in her music, but why is she not treated with the same disdain or critical response like her black contemporaries Lauryn Hill or Erykah Badu? Gee what could it BE? Racism is everywhere folks, even in pitch perfect albums like this one. At least she’s donating some royalties to black charities. Keep showing up, white folks.

Fiona Apple has a way of taking the quiet internal complicated rage of a woman and holding it up with a big loud middle finger. “Kick me under the table all you want, I won’t shut up.” RELEVANT, NO?

How many “I would beg to disagree, but begging disagrees with me” tattoos will we see once parlors are back open? I’d say at least on par with “nevertheless she persisted.”

This album is particularly pointed in its critiques of misogyny and violence against women. So, as a reminder, intersectionality matters BIG TIME when talking about feminism. Like Rachel Cargle says, without intersectionality, without dissecting race, “feminism is white supremacy in heels.” I also leave it to Dr. Angela Davis to explain precisely WHY we need the trans community to show us the way through this reckoning of race in America. Watch here.