Friday, September 4, 2026

Reality Awaits, Catherine


I like the Strokes. That feels like a question when I say it. I like the Strokes? I like the Strokes!! I've listened to this album for what feels like a dozen times, and for the first eleven, I couldn't hear it. I constantly lost focus and let it melt into background music. Over and over and over. But something recently clicked, and now I'm bopping around the subway on my morning commute humming "I did that yesterdayyyyyyyyy..." It's undeniably fun.

I'd have to dive into their discography to say this with any authority but I'm gonna go for it anyway: this album kinda feels like the Strokes doing an impression of themselves. It doesn't have quite the same heft as some of their older stuff. And I understand they're known and loved for those unique distorted vocals, but the auto-tune was out of control on this one.

That said, I hear it more and like it more every time I listen—am I relenting or just evolving? I can't tell. Stay tuned, I guess!

3/5 dancing walton gogginses

No comments: