Friday, September 4, 2026

In My Place 246

September 3, 2026. 40.07297, -75.06945. See the updated map here. See all the blog posts here.


Yet another night featuring a sudden realization that I have not taken a photo and that I did not even go anywhere noteworthy anyway and now I'm a few steps from bedtime and I am forced to take the daily photo around the perimeter of my home, again, for the fortieth or fiftieth time. I stepped outside on the deck first to take a picture, but there was a horse girl there with her horse, and I was deathly afraid of being mistaken for a creeper taking a picture of a young girl in the night (I am a creeper but not for these listed reasons), so I stepped back inside and waited for them to disappear back into the barn before I again entered the night and took a picture of the street on which I live now and might forever. Our home is in the Northeast, where the streets are gridlike but they are not north-south, not squares but more like diamonds, at an angle, forty-five degrees. But then so our house is on a curve, right there at the middle point of the curve where an intersection might be if the streets crossed instead of turned into each other, which means that our home, despite the angled grid on which it sits, faces true north, and it also means that we can look out the side window and see straight up the street, to the end, or where it curves again, but straight down it means we're looking at the woods at the end of it, which means that it looks like the street goes on into infinity. A nice, pleasant sight at night, when you just need a photo to complete the daily ritual.

No comments: