Friday, September 4, 2026

Reality Awaits, Nate


There's a rap song out now that has been credited to AI. The song is called "RUBBERZ" and it's by a guy I've never heard of named Fenix Felxin'. This is about all I can say for certain. I was going to say the song is "popular," but I really don't know what that means anymore. I hear it when I do psychic damage to myself by scrolling YouTube shorts, but that doesn't really mean anything. No one in my life is talking about it, but that doesn't really mean anything since I only really talk to five people about music. I don't hear it on the radio, but that doesn't really mean anything since the effect of radio play has largely cratered. It's been streamed a lot, but that doesn't really mean anything since streaming is easily manipulated and not necessarily a clean representation of people's interests. I was going to say the song was "written by AI," but I don't really know if that's true either. It certainly sounds like it was sung by AI, and it seems likely to me that it was written by AI, but that's about as far as I can take you. 

What does this have to do with the Strokes? Very little. Reality Awaits is perhaps my least-favorite effort from the venerable rock band, owner of two classics, two other great records, and a handful of stinkers. "Band releases its worst album after 25-year career" isn't exactly headline news. However, I thought of Fenix Flexin' and his Claude-Song a lot while listening to this Strokes album because, to me, both of these products are a little odd and a lot boring. This raises utilitarian questions about what one seeks from music. What does it mean for the human-made mediocrity if the machine-made stuff is at the same replacement level-level? I do not consider my argument from the soul, I consider it entirely from the output. 

The autotune is fine. Needs more songs is what it needs.

No comments: