Saturday, September 5, 2026

In My Place 247

September 4, 2026. 39.92273, -75.18484. See the updated map here. See all the blog posts here.


It's the same thing, repeating, over and over, the more I try to break the cycle the more it all circles back upon me. Off to adventures unknown, and I pass a cheesesteak shop, one that I was at almost exactly six years ago, give or take a few days, flip-flop an AM and PM. I think about that year and how it was so different than this year, and yet here I am, in the glow of the same far-off cheesesteak destination, not stopping this time, so many differences, so many, so many, but it still feels the same to me. I try to mix it up but it always comes back to how it was. I try to overcome old fear and shake off old tensions and quash old anxieties, but here they are, again and again. This isn't a complaint, just an observation, how I'll always feel this way and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to break that cycle.

I didn't get a cheesesteak. I can't do that anymore. So there's that, I guess.

BONUS PICTURE: I was hanging out near Purple Orchid, and I still always think of it as Purple Orchid I, even though it's been like 20 years since they shut down Purple Orchid II. Same ol' story. I think about it every time I pass the building that used to house it, and the early blog post it inspired. The more things change...

No comments: