2015
Steven Spielberg
A couple members of Group C have some thoughts about this Spielberg flick. Let's see what they have to say. What do you have to say? Meet us in the comments and let us know.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Walter
Something about Tom Hanks' role in Bridge of Spies makes me feel like everything is going to be okay, like there are still folks in the world who care about strategies and games, not for profit, but for humanity's sake. There's a lot to unpack in this movie. Subtle suspense, such as the moment when Mr. Donovan hears news that the East German Republic is willing to release Pryor on checkpoint Charlie. Why at that location? Will he be shot? Not until the end is the suspense revealed, and Mr. Donovan plays his hand well to wait to ensure Pryor's release. That's another thing in this world—patience. This concept feels almost of a generation passed. Practicing patience is tiring, suspenseful, and rewarding. It's a gift, so implies Abel. Not necessarily a gift that will ensure his own safety, but a gift nonetheless. But patience isn't only what Abel sees in Mr. Donovan. He also sees empathy and compassion. I'm not sure if that was meant as the meaning in Abel's gift to Donovan, but I like to think the portrait is of a man who can stare at it, seeing a near replica of himself as if he's looking in the mirror. And in that mirror, he feels great self-esteem—like he has gotten something right in his life. What's one thing you've gotten right in your life?
GRADE: 5 out of 5
GRADE: 5 out of 5
~~~~~~~~~~~
Sean E.
When Bridge of Spies hit theaters back in 2015, I remember catching a trailer or two and instantly dismissing it. Something about it screamed The Good Shepherd to me—Cold War, spies, lots of grey suits and slow dialogue. And since The Good Shepherd was, frankly, boring as hell, I figured this would be more of the same. So I moved on.
Boy, was I wrong.
Bridge of Spies might not be a timeless masterpiece or the definitive Cold War movie, but it's a genuinely solid historical drama. It takes a real-life slice of Cold War tension and presents it with clarity, nuance, and—importantly—heart. Spielberg's direction is restrained but confident, and Tom Hanks brings his usual gravitas to the role of James Donovan, a man caught in the moral and political crosshairs of international diplomacy.
What really struck me was how relevant parts of this story feel today. Donovan's insistence on giving Soviet spy Rudolf Abel a real legal defense—not just the appearance of one—stands out as a principled stand in a time of paranoia and fear. The public backlash he receives for doing the right thing feels incredibly prescient in today's polarized climate. It's a reminder of how easily people abandon their values when fear takes over—and how important it is to have people who hold the line.
That said, the film isn't without its flaws. The two American prisoners at the heart of the eventual spy swap—Francis Gary Powers and Frederic Pryor—are barely developed. Powers, the U-2 pilot shot down over the USSR, is treated by his own government more like a PR liability than a person. He's blamed for crashing, for not using his suicide device, and for being used as a Soviet propaganda tool. As if he had any real control over that while imprisoned. And Pryor? He's barely more than a footnote—a well-meaning but naïve student who takes a poorly timed bike ride into East Berlin and ends up caught in the gears of geopolitics. The film could have done more to flesh out their stories, especially since their fates drive so much of the narrative tension.
Still, those shortcomings don't overshadow the film's strengths. It's a gripping, thoughtful look at the Cold War, diplomacy, and what it means to do the right thing when it's unpopular.
One last thought: are diplomatic negotiations during prisoner swaps really that brief? In the film, it's like: "Here's what I want." "Okay, how about this instead?" "Nah, let's stick with my original offer." "Alright, I'll run it by my boss." It all felt a little too neat and fast. I can't help but wonder if real-world exchanges are actually that straightforward. There's got to be a memoir or account out there from someone who's done this kind of thing that sheds more light on how these negotiations actually play out.
Final Verdict: 4 out of 5. Definitely worth a watch—especially if, like me, you assumed it'd be a snooze. It's not.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Joe
It's interesting to think that Steven Spielberg doesn't really make movies that mystify me. They do a lot of things to me, such as excite me and make me appreciate the idea of movie magic, but they don't mystify, or confuse, or make me think all that deeply. I think this is okay.
Like, I'm not complaining, okay? I don't need to walk away perplexed from everything I watch. That's not healthy. Sometimes, you just need a really well-made popcorn blockbuster. Get the voice of Woody up on that goddamn screen and let him talk about DEMOCRACY. There's no hidden meaning here. No thematic secrets to be unveiled or unboxed. The message is made crystal clear. The excitement comes from watching the story unfold, beautifully, intricately, with a master behind the camera.
I'll admit that there were moments when Spielberg zigged when I thought he was going to zag. That's good, to keep the audience on their toes. I didn't know what this was about and so for a little bit, I wondered whether this was going to be a courtroom drama. I wondered that for about 30 seconds, until all of a sudden we jumped to the end of the trial. And then there were also seemingly random interstitials of young men (including that handsome fella Jesse Plemons) learning how to be spies for America, which took me a hot minute to get my mind around. Of course, when the pieces clicked into place, it was off the fucking races, but credit where it's due: this was not initially an "obvious" movie in any sense.
When it did become obvious—that Tom Hanks' James B. Donovan was willing to lay down his life for his freedoms if he had to, so sterling was his sense of character, of justice, of what was right—then we saw it play out, and it was a joy to behold. No twists, no surprises, just a straight shot to the ending that you expected, but were happy to see anyway. This is why Spielberg is one of the best to ever do it—no tricks, just a focus on pure craft.
Sometimes, it's a little tough to swallow movies that talk about freedoms and the important of our democracy and all that. This film was only made ten years ago, but a lot has happened to America in that decade, not much of it good. It's hard to take Tom Hanks' conviction seriously when see through the prism of our current political climate. That's the movie magic for ya, though—Bridge of Spies was good enough that it fucking made me believe in the U.S.A. anyway.
The last time this blog covered a Spielberg flick, it was Saving Private Ryan. I talked at that time about the fact that Spielberg had so perfected the craft that I got distracted by it sometimes, just pondering about how the film was made and what insane tricks this dude could pull with the camera and his direction, all to the detriment of my investment in the film itself. I had trouble getting lost in it. I didn't get that sense from Bridge of Spies, though. Maybe because the set pieces were more reasonable. It's easier to forget it's a movie when you watch Tom Hanks get his coat stolen in East Germany than it is when you watch Tom Hanks as a dutiful soldier, surrounded by a massacre on the beaches of Normandy. It's a matter of scope, I guess? Bridge of Spies was small and focused, and all the better for it.
I'm just talking out of my ass, of course (always am). I feel like I have to with Spielberg, though. This is good because it's an extremely well-made movie, not because it has anything complex to say. I am versed in the language of the latter, not the former, so hence the talking-out-of-ass compulsion. There are deeper movies that give me more to think about over longer periods of time. Like, I'm not gonna wake up four weeks from now thinking about some interesting thematic detail from Bridge of Spies. But in the immediate aftermath, in that brief moment when those credits start rolling, there is no other director that makes me feel this way. Spielberg makes me thankful that movies exist.
GRADE: 4 pukes out of 5
GROUP AVERAGE GRADE: 4.33 pukes out of 5
Thanks to Walter and Sean E. for their great write-ups! Okay folks, see ya in the comments.
(NEXT TIME: Gonzo exchanges Rizzo for Pepé the King Prawn on the bridge in Muppets from Space.)
~~~~~~~~~~
GROUP AVERAGE GRADE: 4.33 pukes out of 5
Thanks to Walter and Sean E. for their great write-ups! Okay folks, see ya in the comments.
(NEXT TIME: Gonzo exchanges Rizzo for Pepé the King Prawn on the bridge in Muppets from Space.)

24 comments:
Film Club's comment section for Bridge of Spies is open for business, if anyone has any additional thoughts to the ones included above. Maybe you are in Group C but didn't send an email in time. Maybe you are in a different group or just randomly happen to be passing through the blog today and you've seen Bridge of Spies and have something to say about it. Drop a comment below. No worries if not though! Film Club got three people to watch a good movie that they might not have seen otherwise, and I think even just that makes this whole thing worth it, ultimately.
I really appreciated Walter's question: "What's one thing you've gotten right in your life?" I feel like that type of question is the direction I'd love Film Club to head in during these types of discussions. We can talk about the movie, but ultimately, I'd love to learn what the movie says about YOU.
To answer the question, which is actually tougher than I thought it'd be, when I really think about it: getting married when I did, to the person I did. That's really the only thing that I'm 100% confident that I got right. Having the kids, I'm like 90% confident at this point, and that number is growing every day.
Sean had some great takes too. I really appreciated this line: "It's a reminder of how easily people abandon their values when fear takes over—and how important it is to have people who hold the line."
I feel like this is a great way to circumnavigate the specific concerns I named in my write-up, namely that it was a little tough to swallow Donovan's defense of American ideals when my own confidence in America is at an all-time low. But Sean is saying that it doesn't have to be about American democracy specifically. It can just be about having the courage to do the right thing. I'll be thinking about this for a while.
I will note here that Bridge of Spies made it onto the list of 400 movies because I was told about it HERE. It was named as Allison and Stephan's favorite Tom Hanks movie of all time. I suppose I'd heard of it before the Hanks Ranks dropped, but that list definitely put it on my radar. I tried to see if either one of them wanted to defend their position in the blog post today, but it didn't work out. The assessments today at least seemed to be more positive about the movie than the comment section under that blog post.
What do you think? Is this the best Tom Hanks movie? Its Hank Rank probably depends on whether you are basing it on "which movie is better" or "which movie is elevated the most by Tom Hanks."
I'd be curious to hear what influenced members of this group to skip this one. I know there was at least one member busy with more important priorities, and one member who was having technological issues. Did anyone skip because they didn't want to watch the movie? Or was it mostly a matter of timing / blogging not necessarily being a priority (extremely understandable)?
Disgusting cowardice that neither Allison nor Stephan will show their faces to defend this film and it's allegedly towering Hanks performance. Behavior not worthy of us, nor of Tom himself. Sad!
There’s a lot to unpack here. Trying to determine Tom Hanks’ greatest movie feels like an impossible task—maybe even a fool’s errand—so I’m going to politely sidestep that one.
What does feel worth engaging with is Joe’s comment about how “tough to swallow Donovan’s defense of American ideals [is] when my own confidence in America is at an all-time low.” I get that. Honestly, my own faith in this country is extremely shaky right now. But I think it’s important to remember the historical context of the film. Bridge of Spies is set right after the McCarthy era—a time when fear and paranoia led to a serious erosion of democratic principles. What followed was the Kennedy era, when there was a renewed effort to reclaim and recommit to those ideals.
The truth is, it’s hard—maybe impossible—for any nation to fully embody its highest ideals all the time. A country is made up of people of every background and belief, and that diversity includes both our strengths and our flaws. But that’s also what gives us hope. Because in any given moment, some of those people can live up to our ideals. And when enough of them do, they can move the needle. Bit by bit, we bend the arc of history toward justice. Maybe we never fully get there—but we can get closer.
It's honestly too much to follow the blog everyday to know when things are happening, so sorry for not contributing sooner.
The reason this ranks high for us is because the movie itself is very good AND his performance is elevates the film. Our rankings take both things into consideration and there are very few films in his catalog that tick both of these boxes. Of that shortlist, I think an argument can be made for any of those to be number 1, but, to be completely honest, I think the list would be better as a tiered list than an ordered ranking. So really Bridge of Spies would be in the S tier of his movies. Some time in future I'll revisit the list and post it on the blog for the few interested.
Bullying works.
I gotta drag my ass to the comments to defend a 4/5?
Nate's out here bullying people and then will turn around and write another stupid comment about the Edmonton Oilers hockey team instead of watching a single movie.
I appreciate you guys (Stephan and Allison)! Hope it didn't seem like I was calling you out. But it really is true that we are here today because of the Hanks Ranks #1 slot. I wouldn't have known about Bridge of Spies otherwise.
I didn't even think to check the list after I watched You've Got Mail a couple weeks ago. Glad to see it at #5, great fucking movie, great fucking Tom Hanks performance.
I'd rather see Will Smith Wednesdays materialize than a reevaluation of the Tom Hanks Tuesdays list.
Nah, I get that, and I totally buy into the idea that this was "a different era in our country's history" and all that. But I think I struggled with the whole "how does this movie speak to me," and if the point of Donovan is for him to defend this country's ideals, despite what anyone says about him, then I just struggled to connect it to how I feel right now about the country I live in.
HOWEVER, I definitely appreciate your point about having hope and about searching for the people who are living up to the ideal, instead of focusing on those who aren't. I'm just depressed and numb watching police (very much including PPD) brutalize protestors yet again, so that's where my mind was at. Whereas maybe I should try to see James B. Donovan within each ICE protestor.
The fact that we're still posting about Tom Hanks and Fastball suggests I have entirely too much power and influence here. Remains to be seen if I will use it for good or evil...
@Allison — Use it for good! Send me a 100-word review for Fastball's 2024 album Sonic Ranch by Monday!!!!
GREAT POINT, PUCK DROPS AT 8PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME, GO FUCKING OILERS GO, HOW CAN A JUST GOD LOOK AT MID-JUNE HOCKEY IN FLORIDA AND LET THINGS GO ON AS THEY ARE? GOD'S WRATH AND JUDGEMENT WILL COME TO US IN THE FORM OF A BUNCH OF SEXY CANADIANS.
Group average grade updated to reflect Walter's marks. Highest average grade of any movie so far! Due to small sample size probably, but so what!!
I am sad that the Oilers hockey player with the best name, Zach Hyman, is out for the series.
Skinner back in net for Edmonton but I wish it were Picard to be honest.
Tom Hanks would play defenseman Evan Bouchard in the movie about the Oilers Cup dreams.
Only about one more week of this, Joe, I hope you can hold on.
Gosh, "Bridge of Spies," this is one of those movies that I've just somehow never made the time to see. I caught part of it on TV once, but watching only a third of the movie in the middle doesn't give me much to comment on. I will say the thing I most remember about this movie is how it made Mark Rylance a "celebrity" as opposed to just an actor you kind of recognize.
Also, Tom Hanks best movie is probably "A League Of Their Own."
Don't @ me
No one's mentioned that Mark Rylance won an Oscar for this role. That's cool. Almost makes you want to start Mark Rylance Mondays, where every Monday you and your partner watch a Mark Rylance movie, and rank them all at the end.
I'm partial to The Trial of the Chicago 7.
"The Trial of the Chicago 7" is an underrated movie. I couldn't stand "Don't Look Up," though.
Hi, I haven't read a single review on here, I only finished 3/4s of the movie. I just felt compelled to put on here what the beginning of my review would be: With everything happening right now in our country, this movie felt more important than ever. Impossible not to see what is happening with ICE and be struck by the not controversial idea that everyone on our country's soil deserves due process whether the powers that be want it or not. I don't know I was very moved by this movie so far. OK back to the blindness until I finish the movie three weeks from now.
I appreciate this POV. I guess this is what I was referring to when I commenting on Sean's take, but probably where I got all mixed up was the fact that Donovan works for the government (kind of, sort of) and that he was expressing the ideas of fairness and equality for everyone, and it's pretty clear that our government as it stands now does not express those same ideas. But what you're saying straightened me out a little bit—that it's not a matter of who is "representing America" officially or unofficially or anything like that, it's that there's a very basic idea of rights that should be afforded to everyone, and that there should be people like Donovan, both inside and outside the government, that are willing to stand up for those rights. Thank you.
Post a Comment