Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 88: Sunny

Prompt: "A song about a loser"

Selected by Sunny


"Loser"
Beck

Yes, of course, it's too easy of an answer, but I've loved this song since first hearing it, which was probably shortly after that Futurama episode which took me on a tear.

I think I've got a bit of a neurosis around being a loser. 2020 was a year of big Ls and nearly everyone I know felt like a loser (note: there's always some asshole playing don't-pass line). It was that year of being trapped inside that I caught up on Disco Elysium, an excellent game about being a huge loser and, you know, still having to live and move forward with that deep and intrinsic knowledge. Movies and media as a child ended after the loser lost, because that means the winner won. Hurray, game over, etc. But if you look right of the credits, losers often have to keep on living, just now as proven losers. Death at the hand of the protagonist is an odd mercy. Until honor bound seppuku returns as a mainstay cultural touchstone, I imagine this is a continuing trend. Being able to find some grace and foothold as a proven loser is probably useful skill-builidng, if nothing else. I'm a loser Harry, so why don't you kill me?

Beck's coming back to the Mann at the end of July, if anyone else here is looking for summer concert excuses.

No comments: