Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 106: Sara

Prompt: "A song that takes place at a sporting event"

Selected by Sara


"Thank God I'm a Country Boy"
John Denver
Back Home Again, 1974

Every single seventh inning stretch at an Orioles game, they play "Take Me Out to the Ball Game," immediately followed by John Denver's "Thank God I'm a Country Boy." The Orioles have played that seventh inning stretch combo since 1975. Only a brief five years between 1988 and 1993 did they stop. That was due to a new owner, Eli Jacob. What a square, messing with tradition. Since 1994, for the past 30 years, that is how we shake it out at the seventh inning. I don't know it any other way, and I certainly wouldn't have it any other way. Once you get past the fact that Baltimore is not a country town and you just lean into the camp, it washes over you. 10 out of 10 seventh inning stretch, 10 out of 10 ballpark.

4 comments:

Zach said...

Hell yeah Sara! Best thing about going to a game at Camden Yards. That, and the National Anthem 'O', the 'Charge!' song, and back in the day when the old PA announcer used to say 'Give that fan a contract!' when they made an awesome catch.

Joe K said...

I will reiterate here that the Orioles stink. HOWEVER, I think we can find common ground in hating the Yankees (and hating the fact that they thumped the Phillies 14-4 yesterday, AND hating the fact that Maeve and Bridget skipped YSC today probably because they were at the game watching the carnage). FUCK THE YANKEES.

Maeve said...

That is correct, Joe. And now I have to write two backdated posts, a self-created problem, which is very annoying!!!

Sara said...

My comments are back to normal I think. Joe leave the O's alone!!!