Prompt: "A song that takes place at a sporting event"
Selected by Nate
"super bowl"
mateo silvester
single, 2023
Yeah well you can't prove this isn't about being at the Super Bowl, can you? Someone said this recently on here, might have been Joe Puke himself, that there's a difference between being a person who is sports agnostic or not into sports, and being a "sportsball person." That's a true observation, especially since the latter people are unserious noxious dweebs, but I'll give them credit that calling the Super Bowl the "Superb Owl" is pretty funny.
Disconnected Superbowl thoughts: Watching the game at Gilson's apartment with my still relatively new then-girlfriend/now-wife, potentially during the Katy Perry or Bruce Springsteen halftime performance year; watching the Prince performance on repeat the day he died, unclear why I was being so heavily affected by the passing of an artist I wasn't particularly interested in; watching the Bills in their fourth-consecutive Super Bowl in four years, going to bed with them having the lead, certain in my childhood that I would wake up to victory and crying when I found out they lost the next morning; seeing a guy in a Patriots jersey walk out onto the quad of the North Dorms at La Salle University the year that the Eagles lost to the Pats, seeing that same guy come back bloody and jersey-ripped a couple of hours later (perhaps my first-ever documenting of fucking around / finding out); watching the game at... Joe K's house one time, I think? The year the Falcons lost?; watching the game at my friend Ed's house in high school with a bunch of dudes, all of us wondering if we did, in fact, just see a titty there for a second; checking the score in the bathroom of a Baltimore playhouse where I was seeing Waitress for some reason, realizing that every other person in the pisser was doing the same thing. Sports: they pass the time in between this life and the next.
Disconnected Superbowl thoughts: Watching the game at Gilson's apartment with my still relatively new then-girlfriend/now-wife, potentially during the Katy Perry or Bruce Springsteen halftime performance year; watching the Prince performance on repeat the day he died, unclear why I was being so heavily affected by the passing of an artist I wasn't particularly interested in; watching the Bills in their fourth-consecutive Super Bowl in four years, going to bed with them having the lead, certain in my childhood that I would wake up to victory and crying when I found out they lost the next morning; seeing a guy in a Patriots jersey walk out onto the quad of the North Dorms at La Salle University the year that the Eagles lost to the Pats, seeing that same guy come back bloody and jersey-ripped a couple of hours later (perhaps my first-ever documenting of fucking around / finding out); watching the game at... Joe K's house one time, I think? The year the Falcons lost?; watching the game at my friend Ed's house in high school with a bunch of dudes, all of us wondering if we did, in fact, just see a titty there for a second; checking the score in the bathroom of a Baltimore playhouse where I was seeing Waitress for some reason, realizing that every other person in the pisser was doing the same thing. Sports: they pass the time in between this life and the next.
4 comments:
2012: At my apartment, watching the Giants beat the Patriots for the second time with Nate and others and a random friend who Nate later played poker with a few times?
Thanks for saving most of your Eagles memories for the upcoming PoYB's Oral History of Superbowl LII, the 100,000 word article that no one—not even its contributors—will finish reading.
Confirming that I did randomly have people over for the Super Bowl one year, and that it was that year, and it was with a disgusting, shameful number of Patriots fans.
Confirming that if we ever are able to get 100,000 words together about any one subject, that it's gonna be a book and not a blog post.
I don’t think I remember watching the Super Bowl at my apartment but I do remember watching the 49ers-ravens Super Bowl with you at a bar called the Green Room I think?
Post a Comment