Monday, February 12, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 20: Gilson

Prompt: "A song with the most disgusting curse word you can imagine"

Selected by Gilson


"Fairytale of New York"
The Pogues
If I Should Fall from Grace with God, 1988

Obviously, the specific words in this song are not the most profane words I've ever heard or (regretfully) ever used personally. But there's something about the way that they are delivered in this song that feel like a punch in the mouth.

I grew up in an Irish Catholic family that listened to a lot of Irish music when we would get together on holidays, and we'd get drunk together, so this song was a favorite on Christmas, obviously. It's been kind of wild to see this song gain popularity year over year, even before Shane McGowan's (timely, if we are being honest) passing. And I think that's because of the honesty that this song conveys. It's why the back-and-forths are so jarring. This is a beautiful song that contains the rawest fuck-you-I-hate-you argument in a genre full of drunken ramblings.

This group seems pretty on top of shit, so I'm assuming most have seen some of the videos from McGowan's funeral. If not, I highly recommend watching Glen Hansard play "Fairytale of New York" in a Catholic Eucharistic Procession. The joy and love this drunken, sad, angry, hopeful song bring to this supposedly staid and somber day is the most beautiful thing I've seen in awhile. It's the perfect mix of the profane and the sacred. Just like the song itself.

No comments: