Friday, February 3, 2023

Gloria, Gary


Sam Smith. My goodness. This person has a voice of an angel. If somebody gave me $1,000,000 to know who sang "Stay With Me," I would be completely clueless, but not anymore.

Important backstory. My entire childhood I spent obsessing about my weight. Every day I would look down and think, "If only I were skinny." Don't get me wrong. I was happy as hell. But the journey and obsession we have with how we look is so difficult to overcome. So obviously the lead track had me BALLING in my car. And that's all it took. I was hooked. It didn't even matter that Gloria was a roller coaster of half-decent to incredible songs, I was on board.

I can't get over the variety of songs either. You really got to give Sam Smith credit. They know how to pull you in all kinds of directions. One minute you're crying, the next bopping your head, and then almost taken back by the notes they can hit. Absolutely incredible.

Let's get to the album name. Gloria. The track itself is pretty outstanding as a choir-led backdrop with Sam Smith in the front. It's a beautiful song, although a little too short, that somehow made me think of Sister Act.

And then the record closes with an Ed Sheeran collaboration. It's a bittersweet climax to a perfect ending of an album. Maybe it hit me harder after just watching The Last of Us episode three (absolute must-watch show BTW). But if love is what you feel then it's not wrong.

9 high notes out of 10

No comments: