Sunday, February 5, 2023

Album of the Week: Anarchist Gospel

Happy four year anniversary, Record Club! I can't believe that we're still doing this every week. I love it. I mean, not only are we surviving, we're thriving. And that's all thanks to you, dear members. I hope you're having as much fun as I am. Cheers to forty more years.

Record Club:

WEEK 210 — February 5-11, 2023


Anarchist Gospel
by Sunny War

LISTEN:

~~~~~~~~~~

PICKED BY JOE

JOE'S COMMENTS: "Not sure how many picks I'm gonna get this year, but regardless, I'm committing to choosing BIPOC artists and/or non-male artists for every pick in 2023. As to Sunny War specifically, I've never heard a single second of her music before, but from what I've read, she seems cool, and the music seems interesting, so let's explore it together."

~~~~~~~~~~

ALBUM DETAILS

GENRE: I've seen country, gospel, blues, punk, and folk, so I really have no idea what to expect here.

RELEASED: February 2, 2023

LENGTH: 49:34

TRACKLIST:
  1. Lover's Death Bed
  2. No Reason
  3. Shelter and Storm
  4. I Got No Fight
  5. Swear to Gawd
  6. Earth
  7. New Day
  8. Baby Bitch
  9. His Love
  10. Hopeless
  11. Higher
  12. Test Dummy
  13. Sweet Nothing
  14. Whole
LYRICS: There are only a couple songs on Genius.com right now, maybe more will roll in as the week goes along. The lyrics for "No Reason" are on Lyrics on Top. That's all I can find.

~~~~~~~~~~

ARTIST DETAILS

PRONOUNS: she/her/hers

ABOUT: Sunny War does not have a Wikipedia page, which made this micro-bio a bit more difficult to pull together. Nevertheless: Sunny War was born Sydney Lyndella Ward, approx. 1991, in Nashville. She started playing guitar at the age of seven, stating that "most of my mother's boyfriends listened to the blues." Though mostly focusing on solo work through the Sunny War moniker, she also has a punk band side project called Anus Kings, which has thirteen posts on Instagram. She recently moved back to Nashville from LA, and is twelve years sober.

DISCOGRAPHY: As far as I can tell, this is her sixth LP, starting with the 2014 debut Worthless. Most recently, she independently released a 2021 LP called Simple Syrup.

~~~~~~~~~~

ADDITIONAL INFO

READING SOME SHIT: An interview from one month ago in Guitar Girl Magazine.

WATCHING SOME SHIT: She performed "No Reason" on CBS Saturday Morning recently.

PREVIOUSLY ON RECORD CLUB: Two RC alumni perform on this record—Jim James (welcome back once again), and Jack Lawrence of the Raconteurs. I'd also point out that this is RC's second artist named Sunny, after Red Baraat's Sunny Jain. RC member Sunny is currently on vacation and is not reading this.

Late edit: I don't know if anyone is going to see this or care, but I realized late Sunday that I missed a big RC connection. Apparently "Baby Bitch" is a Ween cover! Who knew!

~~~~~~~~~~

Happy listening, RC family!
Have a great week!

No comments: