Here's an album of near misses for me. I'm not sure why—it all seems like it should be right in my lane. My interest is immediately piqued in "The Oh So Protective One" with this indie Island rock aesthetic, but right around the lyrics/vocals hitting, I'm turned off. Similar experiences for the next couple of tracks. I don't think it's just Owens' timbre, but some combination of things. "Alright" is alright, buoyed by the fun guitar and horns, and "Substance" has substance with its tempo change, so these two tracks have my highest play counts—but they seem against the melancholic humour otherwise portrayed. "Carolina" is probably the most meaningful synthesis, but an eight min track is a bit much without buy-in. It's like trying to chop into a brick pile rather than through, for the big Karate final.
Here's an album that seems perfectly fine, and I can appreciate what they're doing, but it's fallen somewhere in my "uncanny valley" of music. Oh well, Girls.

No comments:
Post a Comment