Prompt: "A song makes you want to write 1000 words about it"
Selected by Bob
"Martyr"
August Burns Red
Found in Far Away Places, 2015
Bob: I am sorry that I keep coming back to this band, but right now I am on a huge ABR kick, and I just saw them live a couple months ago. It was absolutely fuckin epic.
I am going to try to hit 1000 words, so stay with me if I start rambling. I guess I will start with the meaning of the song. It ends with "one day we hope you stop holding it all in and learn, learn to let go and to forgive" which I think it's a lesson we can all use. Stop holding grudges. Get over petty shit with friends and family members. Look past your difference with people ethically and politically and just try to learn from it and move on even if it means to shut said person out from your life. Self-forgiveness and acceptance is paramount in life to succeed I think. He also said "good deeds are not recognized when the hearts intent is full of pride," which is powerful too. Do not do good deeds to show off or show people that you are a good person. Do them because you actually care about the well being of others. Kind of like the slogan "would you do the right thing when no one is watching." If the answer to that is no and you continue to do good deeds, you are a hypocrite, which is also mentioned in the song.
Next I will go with the epic bass solo in the muffle of the song kind leading up to the climax at the end. Their bass player is an absolute stud and you do not hear too many bass solos in music so it was kind of badass in my eyes.
Third, the concert was ridiculous, and I cannot get over it. I spent the entire time front and center in the pit. My shirt was drenched in sweat, my legs hurts the next day, I was in the mosh pit throwing elbows and punches and then hugging everyone who I hit after the song was over. That's the great thing about meal concerts. You beat the shit out of each other and then hug it out. I actually lost my phone at one and some random guy helped me up and gave it back. I thought that was pretty cool. After the concert I couldn't speak for about three days and could barely walk, but would not change a god damn thing. Definitely up there for top concerts I have been to in my life.
Fourth, this is my current favorite song, so I figured it's a good prompt to get to 1000 words. I just love the middle where it slows down then just slams back in. The last minute gives me the goosebumps every time. The guitar is going off, and lead singer Jake Luhrs voice is just ripping into my soul. I love it.
Lastly—and I hope this will get to 1000 words—I just love the band. They do not need choruses or profanity to be musically effective and create great art. Just few random dudes from Lancaster who started out as a Christian rock band, and are now a world-renown band that have been killing it for 20 years now. Their message remains the same too: be a good person. If not, go fuck yourself.
Joe: That's 566 words.
Bob: What? This is more words than I've written at one time since high school. I don't know what else to say.
Joe: I haven't heard the song so it's hard to ask about specifics. Tell me more about being a good person.
Bob: Don't be a liar. Don't be a piece of shit. If you do that, then you'll be okay.
Joe: Is there someone in your life that embodies this outlook on life?
Bob: Negative or positive way?
Joe: Is there someone you think about when you hear this song?
Bob: I think about Jenn. My family is afraid of her [laughter]. She doesn't mince words. She stands up for me when it comes to divorced family bullshit.
Joe: Does she like this song?
Bob: No, she hates heavy metal.
Jenn: What?
Bob: She likes watching, because Shelby knows some words to some songs, and it's fun to watch that. I like that she listens to it because there's no profanity either. The lead singer is just a badass. He's awesome. Even though he's a Bruins fan.
Joe: I think the profanity thing is interesting. You're not the first person to write about that on this blog.
Bob: I don't have a problem with profanity in music. I just think that certain singers try to fill air time with shitty lyrics.
Joe: I guess more in terms of profanity as it pertains to your kids. Like, is that important that your children aren't exposed to that kind of thing?
Bob: They are exposed to it. I curse in front of them. But I also don't want them going out in public saying that kind of stuff, because that makes us look bad.
Joe: What do you say about the idea—which I don't agree with—that metal music itself is inappropriate for children?
Bob: I think people just hear the screaming and they don't listen to the lyrics or hear the message of the song. Didn't we have this discussion before? This band is different though. They sing about faith, but not like Christianity, more like "Be you, eff all your haters." I really like the fact that there are no choruses.
Joe: Why do you like that?
Bob: Because that forces them to be more creative. If you can go back to a chorus, you can kill a minute of a song. These are eight minutes songs. Plus the tempo changes.
Joe: We're almost there. Any final thoughts that you haven't mentioned yet?
Bob: I'm trying not to be cliché... I don't know... I have no idea... I have to relook at the lyrics... am I there yet?
Joe: No.
Bob: How about now?
Joe: Yes.
2 comments:
I asked Bob if he felt more confident as a writer, 73 days into this creative writing assignment, and I'm really glad he answered in the affirmative. I think it shows. I also think that Bob is proving the value of blogging no matter how you're able to fit it into your life. I've seen him in person this week bring the kids to bed and emerge with a brand new blog post by the time they are asleep. I'm glad Bob is having fun and I'm glad everyone is having fun.
This might be my favorite entry of the day. The quick cameo by Jenn really got me.
Post a Comment