Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Summer Song Challenge, Day 72: Pat

Prompt: "A song that a teenager would learn to play a few weeks after picking up an instrument"

Selected by Pat


"Hotter Than Hell"
KISS
Hotter Than Hell, 1974

Wow, my first gig in the music industry! And it's performing live on stage with KISS! Man, oh man, did I luck out. OK, focus. You have a very important job, Pat. About two and a half minutes in, once Ace starts on his guitar solo, I have to hit this gong. Sure, I learned to play the gong earlier this week, and have never played in public before, but they're trusting me. Peter was going to do it, but Gene was worried Peter would take too long putting in his cat makeup and wouldn't have time to practice. Why is Peter a cat anyway? I've never seen him with a cat, and I've been on the road with them for almost two weeks. Did they pick the makeup randomly? Ace is Space Ace, that makes sense. Paul is Starchild, which seems like just another Spaceman. Is Paul supposed to be Ace's son? And Gene is The Demon. So the theme is... astronaut devils? With a cat? And do they all have black hair? Did you have to have black hair to make the band, or maybe you could dye it? Like, if a blonde... Hey, why are they stopping? Did the power go out? No, the lights are still on. They're all looking at me. Did I... oh, shit. Oh, FUCK. I didn't hit the gong. We got to the solo and I didn't hit the gong. Oh man, I am in so much trouble. Oh shit, Gene is walking over and he's... [Gene Simmons' tongue extends ten feet out of his mouth and wraps around Pat's neck] Oh... shit... that's... [cough]... bad. But... I... [sputter]... understand... the character... now. [Loud cracking sound].

No comments: