Friday, August 4, 2023

Summer Song Challenge, Day 68: Pat

Prompt: "A song that would annoy you if you heard it played in the supermarket"

Selected by Pat


"Slumlord"
Bomb the Music Industry!
Adults!!!: Smart!!! Shithammered!!! And Excited by Nothing!!!!!!!, 2010

I usually enjoy humorous juxtaposition, but I also have a very specific pet peeve about music with a generally liberal or leftist or "basic human decency" vibe being appropriated by people who exist to oppose what that music stands for. Some people find it funny when the Trump campaign unironically plays "Macho Man." I don't. Somehow the humor gets lost amongst all the evil shit.

It would stand to reason, then, that I would be annoyed to hear punk musical collective Bomb the Music Industry! played by a corporation. However, I'll admit that there would be degrees of irritation. I would be annoyed to hear a muzak version of "Slumlord" in a regional supermarket like GIANT or Weis. I'd be fucking livid if I heard it in a Whole Foods. It's probably fine to play in a co-op. Co-ops are the musical collectives of the grocery world.

No comments: