Thursday, June 1, 2023

Summer Song Challenge, Day 4: Pat

Prompt: "A song that makes you think about something somebody said about that song, a while ago"

Selected by Pat


"I Got a Man"
Positive K
The Skills Dat Pay da Bills, 1992

Did you know that there's no female vocalist on this song? Positive K plays both the male and female roles in his 1992 ode to men who just aren't getting the message. "How?" is not the question. Positive K (or +K) recorded in his normal voice, then raised the pitch in post. The question is "Why?" Were there no female vocalists available in New York City in the early '90s? Was hip hop that much of a boys club? Was +K trying to make a statement about how bothering women would be less acceptable if they were men? Was +K the only artist immune to +K's charm? Was he fulfilling an elaborate fantasy? Did Big Daddy Kane do it as a joke? I've been grappling with these questions since 2009. I am no closer to an answer.

No comments: