This is an album I picked up only after I'd been hooked by Europe '72 and the Dead's other albums of the early '70s. I didn't love it then, but I didn't hate it, and I did like some of the songs. Others were too psychedelic for my tastes, even though I was a fan of a lot of other psychedelic music at the time.
I recognize it now as the beginning of the band's transition from a mediocre, bluesy jug band, overly-influenced by Pig Pen's uneven vocals and unimaginative keyboard, to the very American and unique-sounding improvisational rock band it would become. The album also featured Robert Hunter's lyrics and Jerry Garcia's meandering guitar and storyteller vocals to an extent that had not been evident before.
Just my opinion, man.
Thanks for asking. This request caused me to listen to the album again, after a long time since last hearing it. What's this about anyway?

1 comment:
Finally, Bart A**** had made it to record club. We’re all a little closer to being dead by his hand.
Post a Comment