Friday, November 18, 2022

Mclusky Do Dallas, Sunny


Don't judge an album by its cover, I tell myself. But because Joe's Sunday post was BANNED for INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE I had to make do. Based on a cover and title, I assumed some sort of southern rock Texas thing?

No, much better in fact, this is a British punk outfit that would hate the band I had incorrectly imagined. Frankly, they seem to hate everyone else and themselves too. Which I love. Coming from a firm position in "fuck this shit," they bring a degree of humor and intensity to back it up without taking anything too seriously.

The album, snappy at 36 minutes, flourishes with the different facets on this motif. There's a simple joy in the slowed down "Fuck This Band," especially sandwiched with "Dethink" and "To Hell with Good Intentions." Of course there's the catchy and hilariously titled [REDACTED]. Lyrical flourishes like comparing black hearts to Coca-Cola®. What keeps it replayable is the density of powered rock ("No New Wave No Fun") and jaunty melodies ("Collagen Rock"). I regret not having better car speakers.

P.S. Why is ********** a banned word anyway? Is this a Carlin homage?

No comments: