Friday, November 22, 2019

Tentanda Via, Sean E.


Tentanda Via is a rawer, more angsty album than American Trappist’s self-titled debut album or the last few albums of front man Joe Michelini’s previous band, River City Extension. It is a deliberate rawness and not the unfiltered sound of an inexperienced garage band. It is a mature angst, not that of an overly emotional teen. It is the raw, angsty sound of someone in their late 20s / early 30s, battling depression and anxiety, someone that is diving deep into the existential questions of life to see if there are any answers there.

With that said, let me clearly state that I did enjoy this album, both because I am a longtime fan and because I can relate on various levels to many of the themes of the album. Some of the transitions between songs seemed odd at first listen, but on the second and third time around they are clearly an artistic choice that are meant to serve the purpose of keeping the listener on edge. This album is a bit of a different sound than American Trappist’s first album, and definitely a departure from River City Extension’s more folk infused sound. While I am more musically inclined toward this earlier work, I am happy Michelini is developing as an artist and willing to take risks. I am thus in agreement with the title Tentanda Via, this way must be tried.

No comments: