Friday, November 1, 2019

The Order of Nature, Brian


High School Brian™️ LOVED My Morning Jacket and Jim James, so anything Mister James is involved with nowadays does have a certain nostalgic appeal to me. One of my favorite aspects of PoYB is the anecdotal review, so in that spirit I will regale bore everyone with a short story of the time I saw Monsters of Folk (yet another Jim James project) freshman year of college. I BELIEVE the show was at the Academy of Music however I’m not POSITIVE as I was extremely NOT SOBER. There were 3 or 4 of us in the balcony, seated separately, and also in the company of our friend Billy’s mom (a lovely woman) who for some reason had joined us. All I remember was wanting more Jim James, less Conor Oberst, and slumping in my velvet chair at a 120-degree angle as I fought off a panic attack. So all in all a great time!

Jim James (such a fun name to say!) playing with a live orchestra is another gig High School Brian™️ would’ve creamed over, and I say the word creamed because you should not associate anything positive with High School Brian™️ as he was a VILLAIN. In addition to being an extremely Jim-James-Ass-Title, I found myself enjoying The Order of Nature a lot more than I thought I would, even if it does ruin any plans of a Phillip Glass/M Ward mashup. I was probably a few tracks into my first listen before realizing how seamless the transitions were, and I can imagine the live performance would be equally pleasant. Therefore, I can only conclude by recommending working oneself into a drug induced fever dream if the opportunity arises to see a show like this in person, BUT only if the concert is seated.

3.5 out of 5 Pukes, would puke again.

No comments: