Play the previous songs of the week at your next party by clicking HERE.
One of my favorite ways to describe a band's sound is to fill in these blanks with other artists: "It sounds like _____ started a _____ cover band." How would I fill in those blanks for glass beach? I've been trying to decide all week. I've whittled it down to two different possibilities. The first is "It sounds like Weezer started a fun. cover band." The second is "It sounds like AJJ started an Of Montreal cover band." Or really any combination of those four bands, I dunno.
The point is that this shit is absolutely fresh and new and, frankly, fucking thrilling. Like, there are a only a few times per years when I listen to something for the first time, and I just get this fire in my stomach, this "oh shit" heat that gets me so fucking excited to be blessed with hearing this shit. I don't want to exaggerate too much, in case glass beach fizzles out later on, but listening to something like "bedroom community" makes me glad I listen to music at all. It's moments like this that I know music, in general, is made for me.
(Not sure what it says that the last time I got this feeling was also emo music. Maybe I don't give that genre enough credit. Or maybe I should take the fact that "emo" is short for "emotional" seriously.)
Anyways, give this a listen. It's corny like fun. is corny in all the right ways. It's strange like Of Montreal is strange in all the right ways. It hits you with rock band hooks like only Weezer can hit you with those titanic rock band hooks. It's theatrical and bizarre and goddamn does it make me excited to know that glass beach exists.
No comments:
Post a Comment