Saturday, September 14, 2019

Song of the Week: "What the Fuck Is Up Tonight?"

We have a playlist of all of the Songs of the Week from all weeks past on this cool little Spotify playlist that you can listen to if you click on the all-caps word at the end of this sentence HERE.



"What the Fuck Is Up Tonight?"
Mean Jeans
from Gigantic Sike
2019

After getting into Mean Jeans this week, I can now say that I listen to and am a big fan of not one, but two bands that sound exactly like the Ramones. (The other one is probably better, but just barely.) Like, I'm saying that Mean Jeans are basically cranking out Ramones cover albums, despite the fact that they are all original songs.

Which makes me curious—why isn't anyone giving Mean Jeans shit about this? Because all I see when I go online is anonymous cowards taking pot shots at Greta Van Fleet, who are doing the same thing with Led Zeppelin's sound. I've defended GVF before; I realize that they aren't doing anything new, but still, they're fun, right? Like, are people seriously saying that they don't want more music to sound like Led Zeppelin?

Same thing with Mean Jeans. "What the Fuck Is Up Tonight?", besides being perhaps a little more flippant with the f-word, could totally pass for a Ramones song. It's a combination of the two-chord bashing of the guitars and the classic vocals, almost like an affected slacker baritone—jesus christ, you've heard the Ramones, you know what I'm talking about. It's the same singing voice.

I'd defend its lack of originality the same way I'd defend Greta Van Fleet, but there's no need to here, because I don't see Mean Jeans getting any flack from anyone. Is it just that Mean Jeans are less well-known than Greta Van Fleet? Or could it possibly be that everyone who shits on Greta Van Fleet is an ignorant hypocrite? You know which one I choose!

No comments: