Saturday, September 28, 2019

Song of the Week: "Goat Head"

If you wanna check out some old songs from some old weeks, then you'll want click on this old link HERE.



"Goat Head"
Brittany Howard
from Jaime
2019

Writing reviews is hard, man. The members of Record Club who do not write weekly usually express these sentiments to me: "I don't know what to write besides 'I liked it' or 'I didn't like it.'" And my secret is that, most of the time, I don't know what to write besides that either! Writing reviews can sometimes feel like an exercise in shouting into the void.

So I can empathize with any of the music critics who were given the assignment of writing about Brittany Howard's Jaime. "It's a very good album"—while true, would not constitute a compelling read. So you gotta find that hook.

Weirdly, many critics chose the same hook: "It sounds just like Howard's band, Alabama Shakes, and that's okay!" And weirdly, I don't even think that's true. The first part, anyway.

Because, while yeah, the singular voice is present both in the Shakes and in Howard's solo work, that's almost it. Jaime adds a whole lot more into the mix. If this were a Shakes record, the hook would've been: "They really took a different approach with this one." It's way more experimental and attacks a whole slew of other genres besides blues rock. I mean, look, it's not completely opposite to Alabama Shakes or anything, but I think saying "this is practically another Alabama Shakes album" is completely incorrect.

I'm particularly enamored so far with "Goat Head," which starts like a late-night R&B jam, with all these stacked light-touch syncopated rhythms. About a third of the way through, Howard comes in like she's doing beat poetry, and she's basically telling a short story about a troubling incident in her youth involving a severed head, a crime in response to Howard's mixed heritage. This is real striking stuff, and I don't think that it would work as an Alabama Shakes song.

It's not that big of a deal. Like, I'm not saying that critics who made this erroneous point are shit. I'm the guy who just wrote a review in the voice of the McGillin's karaoke guy, for christ's sake; I suck too. It's tough finding that hook. I get it.

No comments: