good luck!
Upon reading the Sunday morning email, seeing the word "gecs" written in the introduction, I immediately dropped what I was doing, got into my car, and started playing this album as loud as possible. Previous concerns about my car's sound system have been alleviated. And as I thought I might, I had a nice time with this album while having absolutely no idea what's going on. There is an appreciable pull back from the razor's edge of noise-meets-music to something that's just a bit more cutting and compelling than the pop music you might find on the radio or mainpage spotify.
Deep hooks like "arms, body, legs, flesh" or the bouncy "Old money bitch" are earworms that kept me coming back all week. On the level of catchy frontpage pop, the album hits all the marks. You could leave it right there and call it a win. But like a clam, after the Nth listen, as you peel back the shell, a whole other world opens up. Concept album about an imaginary Michigan town's characters? Horseshoe theory right on the cover? An accompanying ARG as a release promotion/gimmick? What? But all these things, corny as they are, further appeal to me. Seeing the ARG was cracked in Discord servers rather than over TikTok channels is the cherry on top.
i'm ready to support your next effort. good luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment