Friday, November 3, 2023

Universal Consciousness, Melissa


My first thought through the first minute of Universal Consciousness was "Is this how the whole album will sound?" Then, what is that sound? Spiritual? Jazz? Or is this more the noise that is made when you present a toddler with an organ and a rattle?

One of the comments on YouTube reads "the sound of the universe balancing itself," to which I choked on my water. If this is balancing anything, what is even life? I must be too off-kilter to be returned, soundly placed upright, by the mothership of this Spiritual Jazz.

So I tried an experiment where I let this music play in the background as students entered the room. The polite kid didn't say anything. He moved on. The next snarky kid smirked a little. A kind soul who is SO nice, flat-out LAUGHED when she heard this album playing in the background. Even a darling human with not a mean bone in her body was like "what is this trash you're listening to... it must be a joke!" Yet, no one asked me a single question—which is upsetting. Do they think this is what I listen to on my own? Do they think I sit in my quiet, unusually cold classroom during lunch and listen to the straining weasel-like noises of this album?

When we got to "Hare Krishna," things evened a bit. Did the universe right itself? Is this what I was missing? Not entirely, but I feel a little less dizzy than before.

As for the inspo bumper sticker, I think I'd prefer the honking.

No comments: