Friday, July 9, 2021

Tell Me You Love Me, Keelan


Tell Me You Love Me
is Demi's second most recent album and the last one prior to their overdose. I chose this album because 1. I'm a whore for a church choir, 2. I like most of the songs, and 3. I truly love Demi’s voice. Their strong voice brings me back to Christina Aguilera days. I initially wanted to do a soundtrack (specifically Sister Act II or The Greatest Showman) but since soundtracks aren't allowed (dumb rule), I went with this.

This album came to me in the summer of 2019. I was in deep in a solid workout routine, and some of the songs on this album rocked my workout playlist (and still do). While their lyrics are not particularly deep, often repeated, and transparent, they ignite a force or fight within me to get stuff done, whether it's cleaning the tub or cleaning a heavier weight at the gym. "Sexy Dirty Love," "Sorry Not Sorry," and "Daddy Issues" are all fun and dance-y songs. "Tell Me You Love Me," "You Don’t Do It for Me Anymore," and "Games" give me American Idol strong vocals that I like to belt out when driving in the car.

Looking back on the album and their journey since then, I feel like there is definitely a sense of the struggle within them through the songs—working hard to be their truest self, addressing their issues head on and publicly, all while still dealing with their demons daily. While re-listening to TMYLM in full has some sad moments now, individually the songs bring different feelings, and that's why I like it.

No comments: