I listened to this album on my way to and from Target to buy pants. My intention was not to buy pants initially; I wanted tennis balls. Once in target, I realized that the pants I had been wearing during the pandemic had run their course and I needed an update.
No paragraph better encapsulates my favorite song from this album "Second Wind." Yes, I am proud of my ability to go through fifteen pairs of pants to find two or three that fit. That said, it is hard to accept that I am past the fun part of my life. If emo music is going to evolve so I can still identify with it, the songs will have to be by people my age complaining about not being young anymore.
Glory days rock isn't glamorous but it's honest. I can get behind dissatisfied 30-somethings much easier than bullshit about heartache. Plus, writing about the concept of aging is less cringey than problematic emo lyrics about girls. On balance, Free Throw writes about both age and ladies; I can take or leave the latter.
An additional observation: the guitar licks here are undeniable, but are composed in a way where I dislike the guitar player. I had a similar feeling toward Coheed and Cambria. Just too complicated.

No comments:
Post a Comment