Yes, during a week in which my favorite band of all time releases a new album, Jack White's old band releases their first album in eleven years, and a Philly band is hyped up for releasing the album on which they finally level up, THIS is what I'm choosing. And I'm so very, very excited to listen. In my entire life, I have never listened to a single second of Harry and the Potters' music (and I won't until I download it after this post goes up), so I have no idea what we're all in for. This could be TERRIBLE. In fact, that's likely! Let's do this shit!!!! (Or, of course, just go back to some old albums and relive the first half of 2019 in Record Club music.)
WEEK 21 — June 23-29, 2019
What we're listening to this week (Joe's pick):
ALBUM: Lumos
ARTIST: Harry and the Potters
RELEASED: June 21, 2019
WHAT GENRE IS THIS: Wizard Rock! Yes, a genre that features only this band (at least, ever since Draco and the Malfoys broke up)!
WHY JOE PICKED IT: Honestly, here's the truth, kids. I just reread the Harry Potter series (the first four and half with Willow, until Willow wouldn't let us anymore, and then the rest myself in the span of like 72 hours), and I gotta say, the magic is still fucking there. Even though I know this album has the potential to be utter trash, I'm hoping that it's not. I want an album based on HP and the Deathly Hallows to be just as good as the book itself. At the very least, the themes of the book (and thus, this album) can certainly be applied to today's world, no? If Lumos makes at least one connection between Voldemort's anti-Muggle-ism and a MAGAt's xenophobia, I'll be content.
TRACKLIST:
ALBUM: Lumos
ARTIST: Harry and the Potters
RELEASED: June 21, 2019
WHAT GENRE IS THIS: Wizard Rock! Yes, a genre that features only this band (at least, ever since Draco and the Malfoys broke up)!
WHY JOE PICKED IT: Honestly, here's the truth, kids. I just reread the Harry Potter series (the first four and half with Willow, until Willow wouldn't let us anymore, and then the rest myself in the span of like 72 hours), and I gotta say, the magic is still fucking there. Even though I know this album has the potential to be utter trash, I'm hoping that it's not. I want an album based on HP and the Deathly Hallows to be just as good as the book itself. At the very least, the themes of the book (and thus, this album) can certainly be applied to today's world, no? If Lumos makes at least one connection between Voldemort's anti-Muggle-ism and a MAGAt's xenophobia, I'll be content.
TRACKLIST:
- Lumos
- You're Not the Wizard
- Good Riddance (Privet Drive)
- The Trace
- On the Importance of Media Literacy Under Authoritarian Rule
- Hermione's Army
- What Happened to the Cat?
- The Banality of Evil (Song for Albert Runcorn)
- Gone Campin'
- Where's Ron (ft. Kimya Dawson)
- No Pureblood Supremacy
- Voldemort in Your Head
- The Sword, the Cup, and the Dragon
- The Cloak
- The Stone
- The Wand
READING SOME SHIT: Read about The Harry Potter Alliance, founded by the band, turning book fans into activists!
Happy listening, fam! Have a great week!

No comments:
Post a Comment