Monday, January 7, 2019

Dumb Google Photos

I spent a good amount of time transferring all my pictures and videos to Google Photos because, even though nothing is truly private on the internet, it seemed a little more private than Facebook. Pam and I mainly utilize Google Photos for uploading baby pictures (don't get me started on that shit again), but I put every picture of my family on there. 

And apparently Google Photos automatically sorts your photos for you when you have enough of them. There are albums organized by "People" (you can't tag faces, a robot does it for you, and it's... mostly accurate, I guess), by "Places" (you can tag each photo with a location, though the "Places" albums are broadly categorized by city), and by "Things."

The "Things" albums are hilariously inaccurate, and give a great insight as to the thought processes of robots who are trying to figure out what exactly is going on in a photo. Here are the "Things" albums that Google Photos gets wrong for me.

"Prom"


I guess I can kind of see the logic for this one, but c'mon. There is clearly a bride in a white dress there. And the lack of a tie on the guy in front would NEVER be allowed at the strict Catholic high school proms I attended. Keep the tie on, look presentable!


"Airplanes"



There is absolutely no logic to this picture choice. I don't know of any airplanes that have couches in them, at least not airplanes that Pam and Willow would be buying a ticket for. This pic was taken at Evil Genius Brewery, which sits firmly on the ground (though drink prices might be worse than an airplane's).


"Buses"


I mean, I guess technically this is a bus, but it's really a bus-shaped Wildwood boardwalk ride. I don't think I would let my niece drive a bus at three years old, and the Google robots should know that.


"American Football"


I have no idea why this picture was chosen as the cover of the "American Football" album. The picture takes place at a Halloween party, and neither person in the picture is dressed as a football player. I guess Matt's jacket could theoretically be misconstrued as a letter jacket? But not really (he's supposed to be Ferris Bueller, I think). Bad job, Google.


"Food"


There are not many pictures of food on my Google Photos account, because taking pictures of your food is fucking stupid. But that doesn't excuse why a picture of some very non-edible wedding centerpieces would be chosen for this album cover.


"Baking"


I mean, this would be a better choice for "Food," right? Especially because cookies cakes are by-and-large bought from the store, and not baked by the consumer him/herself. I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments expressed on these cakes, and I assume they were baked by somebody, but it's still a weird choice here. That's not even considering that there is a "Birthday" album where this would make a good cover!


"Bowling"


As you can see, Google Photos really struggles with sports. Here's another Halloween photo where the robots assume someone is playing a sport. How the algorithm saw a picture of Frank dressed as a superhero(?) standing next to R2D2 and assumed that they were bowling is anyone's guess.


"Rugby Football"


This is almost the most accurate sports-themed album cover here. SO close. I guess the robots saw a bunch of jabronis getting sloppily tackled and assumed that this was way too unorganized to be American Football. (Not included here is the "Football" album, which actually includes a picture of two Turkey Bowl football teams posing for a picture, but I guess it was assumed that that picture was of a SOCCER team, right?)


"Softball"


There is actually a decent amount of softball photos on my account, since we used to play at the Fox Chase Rec every Tuesday, but for some reason, a picture of a group of nurses at a baseball game was chosen here. This, in addition to the fact that the actual softball pics were classified as...


"Circus"


Circus?!?! I mean, I know I look like a fucking clown when I'm up to bat, but in what world is this is a circus? And speaking of clowns...


"Clowns"


Okay, this one is just hilarious.


"Hot Tubs"


Credit where credit is due, this is indeed a group of handsome young gentlemen in a hot tub. But this just goes to show how crazy Google Photos is when it comes to categorizing pictures. This is literally the only picture of anyone in a hot tub that I have. How did this necessitate a whole album? I just don't get it.


"Musical Theater"


Almost correct, Google robots, almost! This pic shows Pam and I on a stage where we both took part in college musicals, but it is actually an engagement photo. No singing involved. But I'm proud of you for trying.


"Trains"


I take it back, you didn't even try for this one. How in the world is this a train?! This is the Rockledge Pub! Though, truthfully, I guess I'd rather be on a crowded train than in the Rockledge Pub most nights.


"Opera"


This is my vote for funniest juxtaposition of album name and allegedly appropriate picture. This is a picture of me, in terrible drag, dancing to Cher's "Strong Enough," and Google Photos calls it "Opera." Good lord.

No comments: