Friday, May 19, 2023

Bastard Jargon, Rachel S.


Bastard Jargon is both a thinker and a grower, which is usually where I like my alt-pop/indie dance albums to live. There are some high-highs of this album and a few middling skips, but overall the buoyant Jargon is worth repeat listens. The Nile Rogers influence is strong, which sometimes dates the sound back a few decades, but hey, the '90s are back, aren't they? (Though I'm getting a little more late '80's if we're being pedantic.)

Much like other new albums we've listened to of late on RC, this album is also hornyyyyyy. There's a song called "Hear Me Moan," okay!? The pulsing beats, not-leaving-much-to-the-imagination lyrics, and that sultry as all hell voice. I'm here for it! Film has become completely sexless. TV would be too if it wasn't for Sally Rooney adaptations on Hulu. In our kinda post-pandemmy era, it seems like pop, r&b, and dance artists are saying, "We'll take it from here, let's get freaky." 

Tell me "The Conjecture" doesn't make you just wanna get sweaty and touch people on the dancefloor! Tell me "Do You Well" shouldn't make Joel Kim Booster retroactively update the Fire Island soundtrack! Tell me "You've Got Me (Living Again)" doesn't make you want to have a Main Character Moment as you walk down a city block, early in the morning with your headphones in, no cares in the world!

I went back and listened to Nakhane's other work, which fits in more with the moody, broody end of the alt-pop spectrum. In a way, it made me wish Bastard Jargon was even louder in its queer joyful departure from their previous work. Their voice deserves a bigger sound, you know? I want it to be lush, darling.

Regardless, there are a few tracks I will absolutely be adding to my summer soundtrack. Thanks for the rec, Ari Shapiro*.

*I have now turned into a human NPR tote bag holding an oat milk chai latte.

No comments: