Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Exit Survey: Melissa on The Dusty Foot Philosopher

See the rest of the exit surveys HERE.


1. Were you happy with the reviews that were published? How do you feel about your week as Record Club captain?

Yes, super happy! My pick stumped a lot of people—including me. Did not see a commencement speech coming from Joe, so that was fun! And Nate was flummoxed? Heck yeah!

2. How was the variety of opinions? A wide range, kinda samey, or somewhere in the middle?

Kinda samey. I laughed out loud with Sunny's mention of the '00s because, yes, this album was so rich in its 2000s-ness. I loved Walter being a true philosopher. There's something so wonderful about Pammy and I having similar opinions—it confirms that she is my day one ride or die. When she mentioned the poetry of it all I was like "Aw, that's my girl!"

3. Were there any differing opinions that made you view the album in a different light?

Gary's was so passionately anti-K'naan, but I take the blame. I'm writing this as we drive to Mother's Day brunch and "Wavin' Flag" just came on randomly. I'm like, turn it up! I take some credit for his hatred. I told him "ughhh I picked a bad album" and then it colored his review. And then I re-listened and was like "oh wait, this is good!"

Now "Wavin' Flag" is pumping through our CRV's speakers and Gary is so bummed. He keeps shaking his head at how good this song is. "I called him stale bread." Please allow Gary to keep his RC street cred. 

4. Was there anything about this album or this artist that you wished that people would've written about more?

Nope! People always do so great at pulling in things I've missed and this album was no different. 

5. How do you feel about your album choice now that the week is over? A success? Any regrets?

A success! Random choice on my part and I think it was eye opening in different ways for RC reviewers.

6. Any other takeaways from the reviews? Or from this experience in general?

I need to avoid the voice in my head that judges my choices and just let them happen. One time we did a "float" experience. I laid naked in a tub of salty water thinking "am I doing this right?" When I finally let go, and stopped worrying if I was doing it right, the experience became better. So, thanks K'naan for reminding me to let go. 

7. What is an improvement that Record Club can make that would enhance everyone's experience, either as a captain or as a listener/writer?

Meh—nothing! This was fun.

No comments: