Prompt: "A song about beginnings"
Selected by Sam
"Shoulder to the Wheel"
Saves the Day
Through Being Cool, 1999
Oct. 7, 2003. After scoring 100% on my written exam, completing the requisite (and excruciating) "Behind the Wheel" course with Biff Baker (who surely must be dead), and careening into the parallel parking space at the Salem County DMV, the State of New Jersey awarded me a "Cinderella" driver's license. That meant, like the princess, I had to be home by midnight, and, slightly off theme, I could not drive with other underage kids in the car.
My adherence to these rules lasted about two hours. I immediately drove to my friends' houses and crammed in as many people as possible. As I approached the on-ramp to I-295, Robb M**** cranked this anthem to teen freedom.
There's nothing like driving with the windows down and music blaring. There's nothing like being seventeen and only the highway ahead of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment