Friday, September 12, 2025

Discussion — Week 345: Plowing into the Field of Love by Iceage


I mean, this was an obvious picture choice for this discussion thread, right? Was anyone expecting me to pick something besides the 2002 kids' film? We don't have to talk about it in the comments, though. Ice Age is a thoroughly average movie. How about Iceage? Good band? Good reviews? Holler at me in the comments.

15 comments:

Joe K said...

Thanks for being here, members of RC. Happy Friday. Glad you liked the album. Or, more like, interested in it, mostly invested in it, liked it for what it was, liked it better than some other albums recently. I'm really happy with this album showing up here. I feel like Record Club forces me to get inside an album in a way that I wouldn't if left to my own devices.

Joe K said...

To answer Sunny's question, I'm leaning toward Plowing being a better album then Beyondless (especially after this week), but "Pain Killer" off the latter is the best song they have ever and will ever make. They have a more recent album, but I completely forgot about its existence until I started making the Sunday write-up.

Joe K said...

Laughed at Sunny's Norse metal assumption. Gloria pointed out the best non-"Lord's Favorite" part of the album (trumpet in "Glassy Eyed"). Nate's oyster shucking metaphor was insensitive toward indigenous Cape Codders.

Nate said...

A hearty LOL at Sunny name checking many of my least favorite songs as his standouts.

Joe K said...

Been a hot minute since Ian Cohen's name was dropped on this blog. I feel like he was known as the pretentious indie rock critic back in the day. (There was an inside joke on Stereogum for a while, one time the top comment of the week was "FUCK IAN COHEN," but the EiC thought it was in bad taste, so he changed it to "FUCK [REDACTED]," so every time Cohen was mentioned on the site by commentors, it was written as [REDACTED].) But these days he's a full time health consultant, and only does a podcast with Steve Hyden, and occasionally writes a 5000-word retrospective for an album anniversary, essays that I really enjoy and are just my speed.

Joe K said...

Gotta love the music criticism game for being so subjective.

Joe K said...

What's good this weekend? We're watching a 2022 anime(?) film called Belle for movie night. I have slight misgivings about its age-appropriateness, but I think that issue will correct itself if it ends up being not-for-7-or-5-year-olds. Chilling with some La Salle pals tomorrow, took off on Sunday from my regular shift (headed in at midnight that night for a double), looking forward to relaxing.

Joe K said...

Hey, thanks for being part of Record Club, friends. I'm trying to shift my attitude about the structure of this thing, and it's been helpful for me to think about it this way: right now, Record Club has five members. It's open invite, and I'm still going to work on getting guests in here, picking albums and writing reviews and listening to the music. But I think the mindset of "there are 65 members of Record Club and 60 of them ignore Record Club 99% of the time" doesn't lend to emotional stability. So, to you here, thanks for being members of Record Club.

Sunny said...

I half predicted this to be the exact case

Sunny said...

Nate’s and your reviews did a lot to re contextualize and re view this album, and is a big reason why I enjoy this whole project. Even if the lords favourite still isn’t mine

Gloria, I can relate much to the sentiment. Half the reason I may or may not like a RC is because of how busy or shite my week is, which isn’t fair to music, yet is art in truth. Spanish Love Songs of all things holds a high place in my mind, because I was on vacation and Covid started like the week after

Sunny said...

That Belle movie looks wild, I’d never heard of it

Down in Avalon for my one and only beach trip this year. Maybe going on spirit quest; I’ll keep this blog and its denizens in mind

Sunny said...

Oh also, humans ability to get used to anything is both the best and worst thing about humans. I think about this a lot.

Joe K said...

Dude, chilling on the beach in like mid-'70s weather is the ONLY time to chill on the beach. Enjoy your quest.

Joe K said...

My "bad week RC album" was Uncle Greg's pick, Mike Krol's Power Chords. Just couldn't do it that week. But we put some words to the page during bad weeks, and move on. It's the consistency of the thing that really makes those good week pop.

Nate said...

I vote for Beyondless as the best album of the band's non-punk phase. The best album of it's punk phase is You're Nothing.