Friday, March 8, 2019

Floating Features, Sam


Today, I asked myself the daily question that arises during a Philadelphia winter: why do I choose to live here? As an American citizen, I could reside in happy Hawaii, silly San Diego, or even fine Florida.  Instead, I own property in Phrigid Philadelphia. It's March and eleven degrees and everything's the worst. I'm wearing pajama pants under my clothing because all of my real thermals are dirty.

It was a pleasant atmospheric change of pace, then, to listen to Floating Features by La Luz. Surf rock at its finest. No better, no worse. My toes may be crinkled in my salt-licked boots, but my mind is transported to the Pacific Coast Highway, traveling the routes of peeps on Lodge 49 or every single California-based podcast I listen to.

And the music? Is there really a difference between diminishing returns and neutral returns that are the same every time? La Luz could have recorded this album in 1967 and I'm not sure I would have known the difference. It's remarkable how committed the band is to staying true to the surf rock sound. No deviations or experiments. It's surf rock, through and through.

While Floating Features is endlessly forgettable, La Luz took me away on this miserable morning. Mindfulness in music is nice. La Luz is good enough.

No comments: